Schwinn Ballooner Barn Find

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this out of a barn yesterday for 10 bucks but what is it? Has flat forks with truss rods. No springer.Its freakin heavy as crap. Thinking about putting some tires on and riding as is.
8d029d548433a6c94354bce6a4de7eb5.jpg

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

Take a close look at the chain guard, the faint outline of the name may be readable. I'm guessing Starlet. The serial number is either on the bottom bracket (pre 52) or the left rear dropout (52 and later),The charts will ID the year. From there, the catalog pages will narrow down the model.

http://www.angelfire.com/rant/allday101/SchwinnCodes1.html

Last edited:
Well some good news. Somebody swapped rims. These are standard not Schwinn so I am mounting some 26 x2.125s right now.The old tires said Western Flyer. Now that my tire problem is solved I am keeping it. Could it be a Typhoon? Faintly looks like an "oon" on chainguard but not certain.

Last edited:
Well some good news. Somebody swapped rims. These are standard not Schwinn so I am mounting some 26 x2.125s right now.The old tires said Western Flyer. Now that my tire problem is solved I am keeping it. Could it be a Typhoon? Faintly looks like an "oon" on chainguard but not certain.

The Typhoon came out in 1962, and I'm fairly sure your bike was made well before then. Did you find the serial number? The year will narrow down what model it is. Or a closeup of the chain guard.

I agree with Deorman, those probably are the original rims, S-2. That's good, it's not an oddball size.

Last edited:
well after googling 50's Schwinn girls bicycles the closest match form what i found with the same forks was the hornet but it is missing a tank and the chain guard could have possibly been swapped out but i am not sure on that just guessing

Its a Hornet. I was able to clean up the chainguard some. Appears to be about 1952 according to chainguard style. 54s were different and dont see any 53s listed.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back