Schwinn built-in kickstands?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a number of 62 Schwinns now, and know nothing of maintaining, removing, installing, rehabbing the incorporated kickstand or it's parts.

The latest frame I have picked up is missing the stand; there's simply an empty socket.

Any info, advise, experience would be greatly appreciated.
1710815E-1192-46AD-8AD1-A647EADA1DE3.jpeg

The Tiger frame I have pictured is a 24". I may build this up with a 26" wheel in back and 24" up front. Do you suppose this would call for a custom size stand?

The Tiger frame I have pictured is a 24". I may build this up with a 26" wheel in back and 24" up front. Do you suppose this would call for a custom size stand?
I dealt with the kick stand length dilemma when I made a Spyder 24"/20" (replica) from a 24" Flightliner frame and fork. My kick stand fits into a tube welded to the frame like your Schwinn.
-Since the end of these kick stands are bent 90 degrees, you can adjust the length by bending them a little more or less. I did it without heating mine, but it was really tough.

The difference sounds like 2 inches between a 24 and 26, but the height difference is only an inch off the ground. So adding a bend would work as long as you don't hit your pedal when pedaling. If that happens, maybe you could cut off the last inch and then put a bend at the end.

you also need a special tool to remove the stand.
the stand consists of the stand itself, a collar , and spring with a triangular wedge inside the housing.
an external pin holds the collar to keep all this in place.
to insert or remove you have to depress the collar enough to insert or remove the pic.
then it all settles in.
the triangular wedge can slip in 3 different ways.
only one will be correct.
you may have to do this 1/2/3 times to get it right.

schwinn kickstands and the tools can be found on ebay.
this can be done without the tool for people with a good imagination.

some schwonn have the kickstand tube welded at a different angel,the kick siand wil hit the frae tubefound it out the hard way

i only had a kickstand from a varsity and it was too long. heated it with a torch and bent it to the right length and cut off the excess. worked out great. all the needed bits are on ebay if you can't find a donor locally.

Latest posts

Back