Schwinn Deliveri >Strandie it is!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
mail call! just got this Deliveri frame from a fellow RRB member (thanks @ind-chuckz ).
20190110_175230.jpg

I had been looking for a recipient for parts off my ill-fated girls' '64 American, and when this showed up on the For Sale board, it seemed like a good candidiate. Before it arrived, I was second-guessing myself as to whether it would look good with old-school chrome fenders and rims and such, and then I just saw this for sale elsewhere online (not mine, borrowed pic):
suburban10.jpg

I am digging the look. Looking forward to getting into the build, though it may be a little while... my build-off bike is getting priority on any bike time I have right now.

Pretty cool headbadge:
20190110_175304.jpg

Beefy-looking stem:
20190110_175245.jpg

The Deliveri guard is kind of hideous, so I want to use a traditional Schwinn guard painted either to match or in a contrasting color. I was hoping to remove the black and white stripes and the Deliveri name graphics from the frame and keep the red base, but the graphics aren't stickers, they are pretty serious-looking paint.

mail call! just got this Deliveri frame from a fellow RRB member (thanks @ind-chuckz ).
View attachment 88403

I had been looking for a recipient for parts off my ill-fated girls' '64 American, and when this showed up on the For Sale board, it seemed like a good candidiate. Before it arrived, I was second-guessing myself as to whether it would look good with old-school chrome fenders and rims and such, and then I just saw this for sale elsewhere online (not mine, borrowed pic):
View attachment 88406

I am digging the look. Looking forward to getting into the build, though it may be a little while... my build-off bike is getting priority on any bike time I have right now.

Pretty cool headbadge:
View attachment 88405

Beefy-looking stem:
View attachment 88404

The Deliveri guard is kind of hideous, so I want to use a traditional Schwinn guard painted either to match or in a contrasting color. I was hoping to remove the black and white stripes and the Deliveri name graphics from the frame and keep the red base, but the graphics aren't stickers, they are pretty serious-looking paint.
Instead of removing you can cover them. For example if you put the tank plate, you can cover the stripes with leather/textile lace.
Here is a cool looking frame from Karim (Custom Cruisers Zwolle), nice way to cover your graphics too.
86026c31fbfa6644c7de9fd9d6c68590.jpg

Last edited:
So I started bolting things to this frame. I had a seat and a chrome post in the junk pile and bars off a late '70s Collegiate that I thought would work well. I would have used the bars off the American, but I like these better because they're wider.
20190120_164801.jpg

Then I got to swapping parts over from the American. Right now I'm not even cleaning anything, just bolting things together to see what fits and what needs to be adjusted. This is where I'm at:
20190120_171736.jpg

Here's what I need to correct so far:

The front hub is narrower than the fork. If I put an extra nut on each side inside the dropouts, it spaces out just about perfect. I just need to get the right size nuts; the ones I have now are just loose on the axle and acting as spacers.

The crank just barely hits the chainstay on the drive side. I know I can put a washer between the bearing cone and the sprocket to space it out a little, but it's gonna be iffy because the other side is pretty close too. May be looking at a different crank with wider spacing.
20190120_172821.jpg

20190120_172851.jpg

Then I gotta come up with some kind of L-brackets for the fenders because the American doesn't have caliper brakes.

I gotta say, the frame looks really empty with these relatively narrow tires on it. I'm wondering if maybe this particular frame is better suited to something more like a BMX or klunker build with killer wide tires...

I built my strandie on the Summit Workhorse version of this frame.
I used a 3 piece crank conversion for plenty of crank arm space. I’m running 26x2.125 knobbies, could easily run 26x3 tires.
56563351c463737d72d45df3489dbf7a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a really nice-looking bike. Thinking about changing course, while maybe keeping the 2-speed kickback. What kinds of tires are available for 26" S-7s?

I built my strandie on the Summit Workhorse version of this frame.
I used a 3 piece crank conversion for plenty of crank arm space. I’m running 26x2.125 knobbies, could easily run 26x3 tires.
56563351c463737d72d45df3489dbf7a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just went back and checked the build thread for this. WOW. That's some ride. Seriously reconsidering the direction this is headed.

If You put the correct size nuts inside the dropouts wouldn't be there a risk of them tightening as the wheel rolls? Because of the contact between the hub and the nuts?
Got this figured out, I just used thicker lock nuts on the outside of the cone nuts.

I ordered some Electra bars based on this picture on their site:
SmartSelect_20190123-173424_Chrome.jpg

From that pic, i thought they looked a lot like the bars on @MojoK 's Murray build.

Just got them in the mail, and they are not quite what I was expecting. When you turn them the right way, they match the picture, but they do not have anywhere near the "butterfly shape" I was thinking they would have.
20190123_172923.jpg
20190123_172914.jpg
20190123_172757.jpg

I am thinking I like them anyway, though. I have a stem and grips ordered too, looking forward to getting them together and seeing if my vision for this thing works.

Side note: I ordered these things late Monday evening (1/21), and they were waiting for me on the front porch when I got home from work today less than 48 hours later. Not bad considering the return address on the box says Wisconsin and I'm in PA.

I may have another set like you're looking for. I can look around if you like.

thanks for the offer! Don't go digging just yet. I have a bunch of parts on order that should be showing up soon; let's see how it all comes together.

the next bit showed up in the mail:
20190124_211013.jpg

cheap knockoff seat from Fleabay. I've seen it branded as XLC or Velco. Whatever, I think it looks pretty good...
20190124_211047.jpg

digging the way this is shaping up.
20190125_175540.jpg

20190125_175844.jpg

the fresh whitewalls will help too.

now for the $64,000 question: this thing has a 1 1/8 headset. what are my chances of finding a threaded BMX-style fork for it? I want it because it'd look good and work fine on a cruiser, not because I'm going to bomb down mountains or anything, so Sunlite or similar quality would be fine...

Alternately, I've seen adapter kits to use a 1" fork in head tube designed for 1 1/8". anybody have experience with one of them?

I am DIGGING the way this is playing out.
20190126_172022.jpg
20190126_182739.jpg
20190126_172115.jpg

Not gonna lie, the stem was the last part I was waiting for and this was absolutely me today:
waitingformail.jpg

Didn't have time today to do any more than a ride up and down the driveway, but it seems to be a real nice ride. Now it's just tinkering and details. The two-speed works well except that it squeals on braking, so I'm working up the courage to rebuild it. Maybe a BMX style fork, maybe a Sugino spider and chainring, maybe just enjoy it the way it is. Definitely going to do something with graphics to cover the Deliveri name and maybe give it a new model name.

As cool as the bike is, I never really liked the name "Deliveri". So I looked names from for postwar or middleweight models that had a straight bar. For middleweights, I was down to Skipper, Typhoon, or Tornado, and Tornado won.
20190129_214543.jpg

20190129_214518.jpg

The BX part of the name was lifted from the one-year-only 1978 Sting-Ray BX. Not a BMX bike, but a Sting-Ray with a BMX-inspired look.
stingraybx.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back