Schwinn Deluxe really hard to pedal

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I ride mountain bikes quite a bit, so I would say that I have plenty of pedal power in my legs, but man, my new (to me) Schwinn Deluxe cruiser is BRUTAL to pedal.

I can't imagine this is amount of pedal strength is normal, is it?

My thoughts on this were:
- perhaps switch out the rear cog on the Bendix coaster hub to something with some more teeth?
- Or perhaps a smaller front chainring?

Is there a known problem with the coaster brake dragging, even when you think it's not supposed to be engaged?

Thanks for any ideas or advice.

- AP

Unless you're pedaling up hill or against the wind, it shouldn't be that difficult. I bet something else is wrong. Turn your bike upside down and turn the pedals by hand. If it's still hard to turn, take off the chain. If it is easy to turn after you take off the chain, your problem is probably in the rear hub. If it's still hard to turn, the problem could be in the bottom bracket.

LowpowerD said:
Unless you're pedaling up hill or against the wind, it shouldn't be that difficult. I bet something else is wrong. Turn your bike upside down and turn the pedals by hand. If it's still hard to turn, take off the chain. If it is easy to turn after you take off the chain, your problem is probably in the rear hub. If it's still hard to turn, the problem could be in the bottom bracket.

Thanks LD, I'll give those suggestions a try.

good advice from LowpowerD

i had a sears girls bike do the same, it ended up being the grease, it had gummed everything up (cranks and hubs) it felt like i was trying to pedal through a foot of concrete, only other thing i can think of is the chain may be too tight or the brakes dragging (could also be gummed up grease sorta thing)

CCR said:
good advice from LowpowerD

i had a sears girls bike do the same, it ended up being the grease, it had gummed everything up (cranks and hubs) it felt like i was trying to pedal through a foot of concrete, only other thing i can think of is the chain may be too tight or the brakes dragging (could also be gummed up grease sorta thing)

Thanks CCR. I guess I'll get out my Phil's and start disassembling. ;-)

Latest posts

Back