schwinn fair lady rear

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
here's a pic
IMG_6130.jpg

looks like a newer kt/shimano hub, they might be a little bit wider than the older hubs were but it shouldnt be by much if so, i can measure some old hubs vs new hubs if you like. i usually do have to spread older frames with newer wheels too though.

does it do them same thing with older hubs too ?

CCR said:
looks like a newer kt/shimano hub, they might be a little bit wider than the older hubs were but it shouldnt be by much if so, i can measure some old hubs vs new hubs if you like. i usually do have to spread older frames with newer wheels too though.

does it do them same thing with older hubs too ?
I tried it on an older hub from a folding bike it was the same width as the shimano.

hey chimi, measured that junior frame rear dropouts and Bendix 76, the dropouts were spaced about 4.5 inches apart and the hub was only about 4.25" wide.

Some people call it "cold setting" a frame, I call it pulling on it hard to open it up.

May take a second person to pull the frame dropouts apart and another to slide the hub into place. I've had to do it on probably half of the Schwinn frames I've worked on, to some extent.

I have just always assumed they're a tight fit. And that's almost always over a stock hub. The one I REALLY had to stretch open was my wife's '47 Schwinn DX, where I fitted a drum brake wheelset.

The Fairlady took the same hubs as any other Schwinn, that is Bendix RB, Bendix 70 or 76 coasters, and Sturmey-Archer AW and TCW 3-speeds.

I've had a whole bunch of 'em. (want one?)
--Rob

Latest posts

Back