Schwinn Headset Question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a Collegiate I am rebuilding. I purchased two bearing retainers on e-bay listed as Schwinn bearing retainers. I found that they fit the lower race but are slightly too big for the upper race. Is the upper race a standard size? If not, anyone know where they can be had?

I need some clarification here... A retainer is the metal band with the notches that actually holds the ball bearings together. When you say "race", do you mean the ring, or stationary cone, that is pressed on the fork first or are you talking about the "cups"? On most postwar Schwinns, the upper and lower cups are exactly the same and take #2552 bearings. On some bikes, instead of a cup, the upper has an insert that fits in the headtube and takes the smaller size #73 bearings. It has an adjustable cone that is different looking. Clear as mud? :roll: Post some pics of what you have, that will help. Or, I can post pics of a headset if you want. B607

^^^^^ clearer than really thick mud so let's say clear as drippy loose mud. :lol:

I really fought with this on a build for my son. I finally I bought a whole string of parts(cups, bearings, rings, etc.) from a member here and then did a trial and error until I found some that fit. Later on I found a wealth of info on the schwinn forum. It seems all the Schwinn stuff is a smidge different than the other manufacturers.

good luck. and of all else fails take the one you have and force it. :shock: :shock:

B607 said:
I need some clarification here... A retainer is the metal band with the notches that actually holds the ball bearings together. When you say "race", do you mean the ring, or stationary cone, that is pressed on the fork first or are you talking about the "cups"? On most postwar Schwinns, the upper and lower cups are exactly the same and take #2552 bearings. On some bikes, instead of a cup, the upper has an insert that fits in the headtube and takes the smaller size #73 bearings. It has an adjustable cone that is different looking. Clear as mud? :roll: Post some pics of what you have, that will help. Or, I can post pics of a headset if you want. B607
If you could post pics that would help. I have it back together right now. The bearing retainer is the slightly smaller in diameter piece in the upper cup, or race than in the lower.

well, don't keep us in suspense! just a 2552 on the bottom and a 73 up top :?:

Latest posts

Back