schwinn help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got an old schwinn cruiser and i want to know what it is serial numbers are on the rear drop out and they ARE D98396

You may have to pull the cranks to get a good idea of the date. Can you post a pic?

what would pullng the cranks tell me? what am i looking for ? and lastly what do you need pics of i posted 4 do you need something more specific? and the serial numberis corect but the d might be a C but that does not really change much thatnk

IMG_8008.jpg

IMG_2818.jpg

IMG_5944.jpg

IMG_3505.jpg

the bars and wheels are off my tandem other than that its ho i found it

IF its a C then its possible its a 1952- 07/01 to 07/02 ------- C94092 ------------------ C99999 or 1953 -11/13 to 11/25 ------- C72581------------------ C99143 or 1957- 05/27 ------------------ C98057 ------------------- C99999
The frame,fork,headset looks to be Corvette,Jaguar etc. middleweight.
The C being a D or visa versa can change it by many years.The serial number wont tell the model.

Urban said:
what would pullng the cranks tell me? what am i looking for ? and lastly what do you need pics of i posted 4 do you need something more specific? and the serial numberis corect but the d might be a C but that does not really change much thatnk

"what would pulling the cranks tell me?"
... on most all early schwinns, the last two digets of the year it was made are stamped on the middle of the crank arm.

(By the way, half way through this post, I got your new picts. Sweet bike.)

The problem with the serial number you gave us (ARE D98396) is that the "ARE" doesn't make sense for an older Schwinn. You did say you got the numbers off the left rear dropout, right? From the number D98396, tells me it is a 48', BUT if there is one number wrong or a number missing, it makes ALOT of difference. It can be the difference from a 48' or a 59', or ?.

Your bike looks like a late 50's or early 60's, from the style of the chainguard and slim blade front forks. I think your serial number may be a didget off. And from your recent pictures, I can tell you it is NOT a 48'. Probably closer to a 59', assuming your missing a 6th number.

roadmaster said:
Urban said:

"what would pulling the cranks tell me?"
... on most all early schwinns, the last two digets of the year it was made are stamped on the middle of the crank arm.

(By the way, half way through this post, I got your new picts. Sweet bike.)

The problem with the serial number you gave us (ARE D98396) is that the "ARE" doesn't make sense for an older Schwinn. You did say you got the numbers off the left rear dropout, right? From the number D98396, tells me it is a 48', BUT if there is one number wrong or a number missing, it makes ALOT of difference. It can be the difference from a 48' or a 59', or ?.

Your bike looks like a late 50's or early 60's, from the style of the chainguard and slim blade front forks. I think your serial number may be a didget off. And from your recent pictures, I can tell you it is NOT a 48'. Probably closer to a 59', assuming your missing a 6th number.

everything Roadmaster here is saying is how I feel,the only place I found that number to fit was 1948 also.And it looks more like a late 50's early 60's corvette or Jaguar.It really doesnt fit the bill of a 1952 or 1953 but who knows what random parts have been installed over the years.

I am thinking that 59' was the first year for the Schwinn trademark skinny forks, but I am not 100%. Xcruiser is probably right in it possibly being an old Corvette or Jaguar. One time I found out the model name of my 61' J.C. higgins "Deluxe" when I was sanding down the chainguard. The secret is to do it in layers, and if its just paint ontop of the original, if your lucky, you may see hints or what remains of the model.

just went and looked at the numbrs and is def. a c
im kinda thinking its a panther without the tank but probly not how are the tanks attatched
so the #s are C98396 five numbers idk im stumped thats why im here
i will have to pull the cranks this weekednd
also what is the bracket on the head set for

The important thing is that it is a Chicago made Schwinn, a great bike. The bracket is probably for a front rack, it probably came with one. If the chainguard is original and was just painted over, the original name may be visible under the repaint. The original color of the bike may be found also, unless they sanded down every last part of the bike. The inside of the forks, the head tube, might be untouched. Many times, the paint will be like new on that part. The inside of the bottom bracket may show the original paint the same way, when you pull the cranks it may show inside the frame. Also, the inside of the chainguard may have been missed when repainting, that will also give a clue if it's the original guard, the paint may match up. That looks like a 60's chainguard though. And the seat stem collar may be hiding some original color under it.

wclaa9.jpg

Look at the rear fender bracket. It it's a clip frame (for hand brakes) it's a middleweight for sure...post '54. The bracket is for truss rods or also could be for a front rack. Gary

I just noticed how wide the forks are, not middleweight, so they are probably not original.

B607 said:
Look at the rear fender bracket. It it's a clip frame (for hand brakes) it's a middleweight for sure...post '54. The bracket is for truss rods or also could be for a front rack. Gary

it had a new departure rear hub (not sure if its factory) with a coaster brake thanks for all the help guys

Wildcat said:
I just noticed how wide the forks are, not middleweight, so they are probably not original.

bars and wheels are off my tandem i still gotta ride this thing you know

Back