Schwinn Hornet

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I picked this bike up a couple months ago. Seems to be a "frankenbike". I kind of like how the banana seat looks on this frame though. The tank has a really great patine, completely solid except it's missing the horn. Had ape hangers on it when I bought it but I bought an original set of handlebars for it. Only paid $25 for the bike, its worth more than that if i was going to sell the parts. I'm planning on fixing the bike up to match my Dad's 55 Chevy. It will be turquoise and white.

MAoXouJU.WxiVUr1GduiYg.jpg

hBQV3cjiic2UAOqVEkmp7A.jpg

-8Qgpz5SGdq.Qg6ojHCXtg.jpg

nh9Ma2gkSExd1WDetjqLRQ.jpg

Dude this bike is seriously awesome! This is totally the bike I'm looking for! Wish I could find me one up here in Wisconsin! Wow! I like that chaingaurd! Sweet find man! And I havent found one bike with a springer.. All in time I guess

Thanks! This is about the only bike with a springer that I've ever seen around here. I've been trying to find another one for a while now and a banana seat bike but i guess there aren't many around here. Definitively the best find I think i'll ever get.

It's definately a keeper! It would match my wife's 50 schwinn starlet perfectly! Haha sweet man sweet!

There is an all original delux hornet for sale near me for 300$ on craigslist. Man I hate being broke! This is my new favorite schwinn! Lucky you

Your Hornet is one of the years that had a clamp on kickstand instead of welded. A mechanic that worked for a Schwinn dealer in Springfield, IL told me that for a time in the 50's kids were removing the welded kickstand tube with a chisel because they didn't want a kickstand on their bike and couldn't figure out how to remove it the right way. This of course messed up the lower stays where the welds ripped out. He claimed Schwinn came out with the clamp kickstand Hornet for a couple of years for this reason. I don't know if this is fact or urban legend, but that's what Charlie Perry, who worked for a Schwinn dealer in the 50's and 60's told me. Gary

I've got one. Bead blasted and primed. $25 plus actual shipping cost. It has one small crack behind the rivet for the leg. PM me for more info. Gary
DSC03534.jpg

The bike has been dissembled and put up in storage. I won't start working on it till the 55 Chevy that my dad is restoring to match it is ready to paint. We're planning on using the same paint on the car as on the bike. I've still been collecting parts for it though..

Finally found a rear rack for the hornet. Nice shape, a few dents behind the arms connecting the rack to the rear dropouts but they can easily be straightened out and I will re-force the entire rack when I put it on the bike. It came with a cool little reflector too. I got the "okay" to go ahead and build this bike up as a rat until it's time to restore it. So ill be moving this post to the build section as soon as I can get the bike back out to the house and start working on it.

6933987401_767c12b25f_z.jpg

6787874928_ba346e35e3_z.jpg

Latest posts

Back