schwinn model?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
what kind of Schwinn is this and what period?
thanks, Marius

\

dx? I could be wrong. repainted and pinstriped at some time in its life. might be a 24'.
nice badge.

It's a Schwinn frame and forks. I agree, looks like a 24" bike. Not original fenders, and it definitely been repainted and striped, the headset bearing cups are painted over. Luckily the nice head badge looks untouched. The homemade striping also isn't like anything Schwinn did. It has a skiptooth wheel and chain with a standard Schwinn chain wheel. The wheels don't look Schwinn either. Not a Schwinn chain guard either, but it looks like a good bike. The serial number, either on the bottom bracket or left rear dropout will let you know the year, and from there you can guess which model it may have been. Being a straight bar frame, I'd guess 50's, but the serial will give the date of manufacture.

s.n. C 08177, under the bottom bracket - may 1952 probably
24" wheels
repainted

looks like a "Juvenile" model

It is indeed a youth bike. Serial under the BB puts it at pre-52. The C would put it just before the lost records.. I'd call it a late '47 bicycle. Because of this, the drop center rims could be original since the S-2 was not introduced until 1948.

That Schwinn look up tool is for the serial numbers on the dropout. Your bike is probably a 1946 or 47. The serial number list was lost in a fire before 1948, but the succession of first letter would estimate it earlier than 1948.

http://www.angelfire.com/rant/allday101/SchwinnCodes2.html

JPromo beat me to it. Since it's a straight bar with regular forks, it might be one of these, unless the World headbadge signifies a different model.

2v146s9.jpg

I bought the bike, I will take more pics tomorrow.
This picture is from the previous owner too.
Stem, bars, seat not correct.
The kick stand is built in frame.
New Departure coaster brake.

Last edited:
Fenders look to be 26" replacements. Wheels are likely original. Here's a picture from the '48 catalog only because the '47 is not posted anywhere.

1948_schwinn_bocx.jpg

thanks guys

front hub New Departure model W, rear model D
more pictures:

I now see it has the right skip tooth chain wheel, so I agree that may be the original set of wheels. They look like they are in good shape. The chain guard is a replacement but pretty close to original looking. The forks need a little straightening but that shouldn't be a problem.

So you have a great bike to work with and it being a 24" bike would be a candidate for apes and a banana seat. Or just about anything you wanted to do with it.

thanks for your help.
I don't know what should I do with it. Usually I sell these older bikes. I don't even have a garage where I can work properly.

Latest posts

Back