Schwinn Panther? PICTURE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Called a guy today about some old signs and stuff he had and asked if he had any old bikes. Turns out he has one. I think it's a panther but its missing the tank :/ . Said he'd take $250 for the bike as is. Is that a good price or should I move on? I know it'll cost atleast $200 to get another tank. I'll try to get pictures up in a minute.

6954247073_84d7b21f82_z.jpg

Re: Schwinn Panther?

Depends on the bike. Is it a balloon tire bike with springer? How's the paint? Is is a middleweight Panther? Which model? Tanks aren't that tough to find if you can exercise a little patience and I don't think any of the tanks you may be potentially looking for should cost you $200

Re: Schwinn Panther?

Memory lane classics has the re-pop tank for that for $145 in bare metal or $180 in chrome. I'd offer him like $150. $200 if it's really nice condition.
http://www.memorylane-classics.com/

arpicker said:
It is the balloon tire bike and it's my dream bike to restore, if I could find a tank for it

OK. It's not a Panther. Its a prewar Schwinn B model. Probably a '40 or '41. That tank WILL cost you in excess of $200.Definitely worth a restoration but not for the faint of heart or light of the wallet. The fender light is wrong but worth some money, you'll need the correct seat, correct rear reflectors, correct tank, correct front fender, wheels, tires, etc. If it were mine I would honestly budget at least another $700 just to get the correct parts before I even think about paint and chrome.

ohdeebee said:
arpicker said:
It is the balloon tire bike and it's my dream bike to restore, if I could find a tank for it

OK. It's not a Panther. Its a prewar Schwinn B model. Probably a '40 or '41. That tank WILL cost you in excess of $200.Definitely worth a restoration but not for the faint of heart or light of the wallet. The fender light is wrong but worth some money, you'll need the correct seat, correct rear reflectors, correct tank, correct front fender, wheels, tires, etc. If it were mine I would honestly budget at least another $700 just to get the correct parts before I even think about paint and chrome.

Wow, but for the price, and the parts that are there on this bike. Is it worth it?

arpicker said:
ohdeebee said:
arpicker said:

Wow, but for the price, and the parts that are there on this bike. Is it worth it?

As far as parts are concerned its worth it. I'd give you $100 for the rack alone. As far as a bike..... maybe. It's worth more in parts than it is as it sits. I'm sure someone with a Monark is after the headlight. The frame and fork are worth a good deal of money as well.

Hmm.. I'm less excited about it now but glad that you told me what it is before I went out and bought it. That being said, the guy said he'd hold it for me till I got the money to buy it so I have plenty of time to think it over. I'm not really that much of a hardcore collector to where id have to have all original parts on this bike so maybe I could save a little there.. I need to sell a bunch of my bikes first though before I can even think about it.

Buy it and part it out. ohdeebee is in for $100 for the rack. I'll give you $100 for the springfork and $50 for the crank, cups, and bearing stuff. That Monark light and fender is worth $100 if it's worth a nickel. Frame is at least $100...should I keep going? :wink: Gary

arpicker said:
Alright well i have a guy coming today to maybe buy my redline.. hopefully he does and then I can buy this bike.

If you need money upfront for the rack just let me know and I'll send you payment.

ohdeebee said:
arpicker said:
Alright well i have a guy coming today to maybe buy my redline.. hopefully he does and then I can buy this bike.

If you need money upfront for the rack just let me know and I'll send you payment.

I can do the same for the items I want. Gary

Cool man! 8)

And after a very long wait, I finally went and picked this bike up today! Special Thanks to ohdeebee and B607 for giving me the money to get it! This bike was in the weirdest place. It was in a half movie rental shop/flea market.. nothing but dungeons and dragons and old comic books scattered around the place.. Not to mention a petition to legalize marijuana. Turns out the guy the bike belongs to wasn't able to be there because he had something to do today but I met with the lady that owned the video store.. been trying to get him to come off of $250 but he always said no. Anyways I got it for $225. The bike's in nice shape. I'm positive that it's been repainted and they did a terrible job. They spray painted some kind of satellite antennae right next to it so now theres gray overspray all over the frame and fenders... I scraped some of the paint off the fenders and it's blue? No idea if that's original or not. Going to start tearing down the parts to ship to ohdeebee and B607 tomorrow and then I'll fool with it and get some pictures up tomorrow afternoon.

Latest posts

Back