Schwinn Rims... What's the deal, yo?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been dinkin' around with old bikes since the beginning of summer, and recently picked up a hollywood for my wife. Then I was informed that schwinn had their own rim sizing... How/where do I find out about this? Any info would be sweet. I think hers are s-7, abut I could be wrong... I haven't looked at them lately. Only when I heard they could be different did I briefly look at them...

SCHWINN had different thoughts about how to size tires, they started making their own "standard" sizes and thought the other manufacturers would follow along ... they didnt. so you end up with s-2, s-7, s-5 & s-6 and maybe a couple others i dont know about. i believe i read that schwinn "invented" the balloon tire 26x2.125 (s-2) so a standard 2.125 tire should work on a schwinn s-2 but i know the s-5, s-6 (both are 1-3/8 tires) and the s-7 (1-3/4) are schwinn specific. the tires will have to say "fits S-7 or S-5/S-6"

there is also a standard 1-3/8 tire size usually found on "english" style bikes, those wont work unless they say "fits S-5 or S-6"

the tires arent usually in stock at most bike shops but theyre not too hard to find for cheap.

also schwinn rims are doublewalled, alot stronger than most of the standard cheapo rims bikes come with today when it comes to curb hits and flexing.

Just find a bike shop that deals with older bikes.. My bike shop has whitewalls for S7's. I paid 30 for both.

I always thought Schwinn made them slighty larger in diameter so you would have to buy their tires.

My 2 speed hub is S7, can't find a balloon tire for it anywhere.

i think that the s2 and the s7's are schwinn specific tires. and wildcats probably right about the fact that you would have to buy schwinns tires. goo dmarketing idea i guess. i had to learn the hard way about my s7 rims... :oops:

Easy E

elvis51 said:
i think that the s2 and the s7's are schwinn specific tires. and wildcats probably right about the fact that you would have to buy schwinns tires. goo dmarketing idea i guess. i had to learn the hard way about my s7 rims... :oops:

Easy E

S-2's are not Schwinn specific. You can mount any generic 2.125 or 1.75 tire on an S-2. I believe the S-7 was definitely done for marketing. Frank Schwinn was no dummy. This gave Schwinn dealers an exclusive on replacement tires for the millions of middleweights us baby-boomers rode...and still ride in some cases. B607

my bad :oops: :oops:

Easy E

B607 said:
elvis51 said:

Easy E

S-2's are not Schwinn specific. You can mount any generic 2.125 or 1.75 tire on an S-2. I believe the S-7 was definitely done for marketing. Frank Schwinn was no dummy. This gave Schwinn dealers an exclusive on replacement tires for the millions of middleweights us baby-boomers rode...and still ride in some cases. B607

i bought a set of Kenda 26x1 3/4 from bicyclerick the other day, and they ride so freakin smmmmooth!!

so quick question, will S7 tires fit on regualr rims?

Easy E

elvis51 said:
i bought a set of Kenda 26x1 3/4 from bicyclerick the other day, and they ride so freakin smmmmooth!!

so quick question, will S7 tires fit on regualr rims?

Easy E

nope s-7 is schwinn rim specific

kinda what i thought. just wanted to make sure before i tried squeezing an s7 tire onto a regualr rim. thanks ccr

Easy E

Back