Schwinn serial number help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
i can't figure out how to upload a pic on this thing but here's my dilemma. I just grabbed either a '53 or '58 schwinn. The serial # is a k code.. It looks like when it was stamped it slipped cause alls that showing is k806*82 on the rear dropout (the * is where the stamp must've slipped.. I'm assuming it's either a 6 or an 8) now I know a couple of people who have had schwinnns before where the serial # slipped so I'm not concerned about that. Its either a '53 or '58 any help with this would be greatly appreciated

It may be tough to tell if there are 5 or 6 numbers after the K. The cranks may have a 2 digit date code on them, a lot of the Schwinns did, others didn't. It will be on the center portion, inside the bottom bracket, so you'll have to pull them off. There may be some other characteristics that will help, but that would be definite. A pic of the number may help too.

It may be tough to tell if there are 5 or 6 numbers after the K. The cranks may have a 2 digit date code on them, a lot of the Schwinns did, others didn't. It will be on the center portion, inside the bottom bracket, so you'll have to pull them off. There may be some other characteristics that will help, but that would be definite. A pic of the number may help too.
Yea I guess I gotta get a third party website in order to upload a pic. And the cranks are not original to the bike. I've pieced it together to get all schwinn parts.. I know the chainstay angle is different on a '53 having a more downward slant to it then a '58. I'll sign up for one of those photo websites so I can upload a pic of the serial number. I'm hoping its a '53 lol but I'm airing on the side of caution for now and just building out a '58 hornet. I only have 2 schwinnns an original '46 dx and a 67 typhoon. This one has the black brass shwinn badge.. Did they use the same badge between '53 and '58?

I use tinypic to upload pics, but most here use photobucket.

Don't know about the headbadges. Did you just have the bare frame?

Yea I got a good deal on the frame and headbadge and fork.. The cranks and pedals are off another 1950s schwinn. I'm using fenders off a 1995 repop phantom. I'll be buying a tank and delta light after the holidays. And saving to buy s2s

By '58, most frames were middleweights. If you managed to put a rear Phantom fender in that frame, it is likely a '52 balloon tire frame.
Do the 3 finger test. Just above the rear fender bridge is a triangular area. Lay 3 fingers on top the bridge and see how they fit. It they are tight, you have a middleweight. If they have plenty of room, you have a ballooner. Gary

By '58, most frames were middleweights. If you managed to put a rear Phantom fender in that frame, it is likely a '52 balloon tire frame.
Do the 3 finger test. Just above the rear fender bridge is a triangular area. Lay 3 fingers on top the bridge and see how they fit. It they are tight, you have a middleweight. If they have plenty of room, you have a ballooner. Gary
Hey thanks for that. I did the 3 finger test and have room to spare :)

Latest posts

Back