Schwinn Starlet III SAE or Metric?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a Schwinn Starlet III (I think it is a 1968) sight unseen off of CL in Wisconsin. It had been hanging in a barn for years and the sons of the owner wouldn't ride it because it is a girl's bike. It has some rust visible in the pics and the tires are rotting off. Other than that, it looks complete and stock. I had some friends that live nearby pick up the bike for me. I found the proper tires and tubes here (SoCal) and plan to pack them in my luggage when I go to Wisconsin in late July. I am trying to pack light and just wondered what tools anyone recommends for this task. I might also need to do a little dis-assembly to fit it in my rental car. Hoping to have a great bike to ride around on my 10 day vacation in Oshkosh.

Any thoughts/ideas?

Thanks very much.

Lann

Re: Schwinn Starlet III SAE or Metric

A pair of visegrips, crescent wrench, medium straight screwdriver and medium phillips screwdriver.

Re: Schwinn Starlet III SAE or Metric

JLarkin said:
A pair of visegrips, crescent wrench, medium straight screwdriver and medium phillips screwdriver.

That's not bad at all....thanks very much!

In general Schwinn's of that age will be SAE, but I said in general, it is possible for some imported (European, metric) parts to be on the bike, most likely in the hubs.

c.p.odom said:
In general Schwinn's of that age will be SAE, but I said in general, it is possible for some imported (European, metric) parts to be on the bike, most likely in the hubs.

Thanks CP....I was thinking this might be the case. Crescent wrench for sure!

Please use the correct wrench/socket size if you plan on putting it back together nicely.

Nothing looks worse to me than boogerd up vice gripped stripped nuts.

SAE for Schwinns pre 1980. All though a smattering of Schwinns are Imperial, for some God-Forsaken reason.

Everything post 1980 is metric.

Latest posts

Back