Schwinn Stembolt Killer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It never fails, when I approach an old Schwinn stem the bolt always snaps when I attempt to start to loosen it, I try to soak it with pb blast first and tap it with a hammer, but all said and done it goes snap, but I was able to get another bolt and hammer the wedge out to not all was lost, now to swap over the patina springer,,
009-9.jpg

Gold Street Customs said:
It never fails, when I approach an old Schwinn stem the bolt always snaps when I attempt to start to loosen it, I try to soak it with pb blast first and tap it with a hammer, but all said and done it goes snap, but I was able to get another bolt and hammer the wedge out to not all was lost, now to swap over the patina springer,,

I just broke one off last night! It was in a 1959 Corvette, AZ bicycle, no visible rust anywhere, with minty chrome, that hadn't been wet in at least 22 years... In addition, I had filled the fork tube with PB blaster and let it soak for 2 months!! I have found faith in penetrating oils, including Kroil, to be overrated. My experience indicates sometimes fasteners are just plain stuck.

Latest posts

Back