Schwinn Tandem help please.....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few questions about this bike please! First, the year...picked this up today. Also as you can see there are a few things not original...of course tires, seats, seat clamp, rear reflector.....wondering about the fenders? The rims look original but not sure...and also not sure of the front chain ring. Guessing kickstand, handle bars and pedals ok?
What would be a fair asking price?
Thanks!

Attachments

• sh1.jpg
    sh1.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 25
  • sh4.jpg
    sh4.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 23
  • sh5.jpg
    sh5.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 18
  • sh6.jpg
    sh6.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 17
  • s2.jpg
    s2.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 21
  • sh9.jpg
    sh9.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 22
  • sh10.jpg
    sh10.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 20
  • sh10.jpg
    sh10.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 20
  • sh7.jpg
    sh7.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 20
The head badge is saying February of '68 or '78. If the color is original, I'd say it's a '78 as red wasn't a '68 color.

However, I don't see a serial on the head tube, and those top tube graphics don't look like anything that was used on a twinn Schwinn that I've seen.

To get an accurate date, a serial number is needed. Should be on the head tube or the left side rear dropout.

Derailleur isn't original.

I tried to find an example of a post Chicago made Twinn, as maybe the badge has been replaced...but couldn't find one. Pictures aren't great but the head tube appears electroforged. For a bike that initially looked pretty stock...it turns out to be a bit of a hodge podge.

So this is just a mess.....not a real Schwinn? Like a homemade Schwinn!
Going to throw it out there for 50. Still is a working Tandem... just disappointed!
Thanks.

It's a real Schwinn, Chicago made. The rear chain wheels aren't original, but are Schwinn, looks like from a Varsity. With the drum brake on the rear would have been a deluxe Twinn. It looks to have been completely redone, paint and all. There's no scratches where the rear wheel has been bolted on and off. It may have a serial number on the left rear dropout that will ID the year.

But you probably won't sell it that easy. There's an old saying, the best two days about owning a tandem is the day you get it, and the day you get rid of it. It's the length that makes it a nuisance. It won't go on a bike rack, so you need to keep it in the garage for neighborhood use only. Anyone who buys it will need a truck to haul it away.

I would strip it for parts, especially the rear hub, and use the bare frame as a decoration in the flower garden or shop wall.
1651360159437.png

There is a box stock Schwinn Deluxe Twinn listed on the Sacramento Craigslist right now for $400. It has the original fenders, chainguard, chainrings, and the God awful original rear derailleur. Your bike is pretty clean but missing the chainguard. Your bike has a rear seatpost quick release, stem mounted shifter. I tend to think this may be a 70's product but the serial number is the final say. It is a Chicago product. I believe you can get $50 for it if it is rideable and maybe a bit more. I always start high, even pie in the sky, if you have the time and storage space. There is a right price for all bikes and as you drop the price someone will come and become the new owner. My wife and I have owned 5 tandems over the decades but none now. Wildcat has condensed the tandem ownership experience into one relevant sentence. Good luck selling it.

Latest posts

Back