Schwinn Tapered Kickstand ???

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hm.. that's a good question.. it seems like they wouldn't have changed the housing after only one year.. but then again.. the changed the tapered kickstand after only one year.

dogdart said:
I recently picked up an old girls Schwinn for parts & noticed it has a tapered kickstand . I have nit taken it apart yet , and was wondering if it directly replaces a non-tapered stand or if the housing was different ????

If you send it to me, I'll test to see if it fits a frame not-so-equipped. :D :wink:

I purchased a Schwinn DX off E-bay several years ago. It came equipped with that tapered kickstand. As I was blowing the bike apart to clean and re-assemble, I looked at that stand and thought it was really just rusted away. So I pulled a newer one out of my parts stash that was similar (in length) and installed it with no problem at all! Then after all was said and done, I tossed that "rusted" one in the trash. So to answer your question, yes, it will interchange. And, yeah, I am an IDIOT!!!!! LOL :wink: Later & PEACE!!!!! :mrgreen:

Twenty some years of picking bikes and I'm still looking for my first tapered kickstand. :( Gary

• Finally got around to swapping this stand . Here's my findings . The angle of the tapered kickstand is different than the later stand , wich means the housing is welded to the frame at a different angle . The bike I swapped the tapered stand onto is a '50 DX .
0903121203.jpg
  • The tapered stand swaps right into the housing , but I had to get out the hot wrench and bend it a bit
002-2.jpg

I've found the different angles on stands between different models of Schwinn frames. There seems to be one angle for lightweight and road bikes and another for the heavier cruiser type frames, as well as Stingrays and other 20" models.

I don't think the hardware's actually different for any of them but the top bend of the kickstand certainly is. Match up what you have when looking for a better one.

--Rob

Latest posts

Back