Schwinn Tire Size-AGAIN!! :(

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here I go AGAIN! What in the heck tire size fits a '70's era Schwinn S-5 wheel?? :x The wheel measures just about 24" diameter. I bought a set of 24" Kenda tires that even say on the sidewall that they're for a Schwinn S-5...but they're too small! :x They measure 22" i.d.... :roll:

Yea, what's got me balled up is the wheel diameter...the O.D. on the wheel is 24"...My tires are 22" even my Schwinn S-6's... :x

24" S5's have a 547mm bsd while 26's have a 597mm bsd, 50mm difference between the rims which is like 1.97". Are you sure the wheels are 24" and not 26", that's about the only thing I can think that it would be.

OK....It looks like the tires should be: 26 x 1 3/8...The bead seat diameter is 1875 mm (as best as I can measure it) Which would be 597 mm ISO. The wheels are stamped S-5...Thanks all and thanks to the late Sheldon Brown:
http://sheldonbrown.com/rim-sizing.html Off to the LBS on lunch tomorrow... :roll:

i forget which is which but the s-5 and s-6 are indeed the same diameter. the difference is one was a narrower, square shaped rim that came on higher priced bikes like the (old 3s) continentals mounted with tires labeled 26x1 1/4 and the other is the funky shaped rim that came with 26x1 3/8 tires on bikes like the racer and breeze. that's why a lot of chinese schwinn tires are marked 26x11/4-13/8. at least they're easy to find once you figure out what you need :D

Well I got 'em!!! Thanks to my LBS CYCLE AND FITNESS and it's proprietor MIke Jones I ended up with a set of 26 x 1 3/8 (37-597) S-6 tires. :mrgreen:

IMG_1044.jpg

IMG_1045.jpg

I got 'em mounted and installed on my Build-Off bike http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=21122 Thanks again friends!
~Randy

Latest posts

Back