Schwinn Town and Country Trike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a chance to buy a very nice Schwinn T and C for 100.00. It will be to ride daily. Can I keep it repaired or are parts a problem? Should I pass? Again it will be adult ridden a lot on the bike paths etc.
4174c928cd7449789b63c80a55b47ae0.jpg

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

I have a chance to buy a very nice Schwinn T and C for 100.00. It will be to ride daily. Can I keep it repaired or are parts a problem? Should I pass? Again it will be adult ridden a lot on the bike paths etc.
4174c928cd7449789b63c80a55b47ae0.jpg

Or I can get this Cignal for 125.00 and its mint with common everyday components.
23516aa26e35473adeafaaf2b7cef157.jpg

Bigger wheels = more comfy ride.... Schwinn = HEAVY but reliable.

Biggest thing is which you like better and which fits better - road test them both! Does either have gears or are they both single speed? Any hills on your intended routes?

I can't see Schwinn parts being at all difficult to find, with the Internet thingy being what it is nowadays.

I did a Google search for Cigna Trike and found a couple of folks who said they were as bad as Wally World junk... and one seller in Philly who had one for $50 minus seat and seatpost. It needed lotsa work. There was an online auction where one sold for $100 or so, so the price might be in line. It looks like the Velo model might have a 3 speed hub, which is a plus.
One thing that kills a lot of trikes is their size makes it real easy to just leave them outside in the weather instead of making room in the garage for one. Either bike won't last long if you don't have covered dry storage.

Last edited:
That Cignal is very cheap imported junk I believe. Both are single speeds. Parts if ever needed for the Schwinn are my biggest fear. The Cignal probably uses generic parts easily found on most Wally bikes so keeping it repaired would be easy as long as the frame or rear wheels dont give trouble.

There really isnt much info on the Schwinn online. That Schwinn looks very much like the old Sears free spirit trikes that had the lift out basket. Schwinns are so peculliar with their oddball tires and such. Both trykes require some serious thought and maybe passing on both til something better like a Miami Sun comes along.

I emailed the lady with the cinal and told her no. As for the Schwinn it may be a flipper. I think parts and upkeep will be near impossible. Best left for a "collector" to sit and look at or sell it to someone who doesnt know what their buying.Let the name alone sell it.

Umm. I think you might be surprised by how easy it will be.

Seriously.....Once you buy tires, there is nothing on a Schwinn that isn't something you can't buy at your local bike shop. They may have to order some things as the demand isn't there anymore.

And tires are easy to find on the internet, once you figure out what size you really need. Sheldon brown has a great page explaining tire sizes and how Schwinn tire sizes relate.
Here's hi page about Schwinn in general:
http://sheldonbrown.com/chicago-schwinns.html

Here's a supplier:
https://www.biketiresdirect.com/older-26-inch-tire-sizes-article

Sure, you won't walk in to Wally world and buy the exact right thing right off...but you won't find parts for the Wally world bikes on the shelf anywhere either. If you are looking only to get your parts off other bikes in the boneyard..ya gotta have the right bikes in the boneyard.

Maintenance and "upkeep" on a Chicago built Schwinn:

1: Keep it in a dry place and not in the river or salt mine.
2: Fix the tires when they get flats. Buy new ones when you can see the tubes through the sidewalls.
3: Once a year, lube and grease everything. If you skip a decade or two, it probably won't be noticeable.
4:Adjust cables when needed, replace brake pads if wiped out.

I saw a youtube video on the T&C Schwinn but didn't watch it.. it might help ya out.

Another:

I was "maintaining" my Schwinn 3 speed in third grade. 98 percent of my wrenching was adjusting the seat.

Refurbishing and restoring a Schwinn is pretty easy too. If you can "flip" a bike you should be able to work on a Schwinn. It isn't anything magic or really complex.

The name alone is what sells the new "Pacific" garbage called Schwinn...and 50 years from now I doubt folks will have the same love for them as they have for 50 year old Schwinn products today. (If there are any left!)

Last edited:
I guess my biggest concern is keeping it on the road. That Schwinn uses 3 times the parts as my old Trailmate trike. It looks very complicated compared to todays modern day Miami Suns etc. I want to know that if a problem occured it could be easily repaired without spending weeks hunting for an obsolete part. Schwinn trykes dont seem to be very popular. I had a old Sears Ted Williams tryke once and there wasnt a part to be found.

I went and got it today. Basically mint condition but not for me. It cant hold a candle to a Miami Sun or Trailmate IMO so up for sale it went.

This one is a single speed coaster brake. I thought it would be hard to pedal but actually its too EASY to pedal. You spin like crazy and are barely going. I am thinking about putting a 40t chainring up front and a longer arm crank. I hate the skinny tires and baby size handlebars.It just feels funny to ride.

Those Sun trikes are a very comfortable relaxed ride. The Schwinn bike makes you feel like you are sitting up high "on top" of the bike (same feel with Worksmans)) whereas the Sun trykes make you feel like your riding "in" the bike. Huge difference.

Latest posts

Back