Schwinn Varsity Party Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The saddle looks amazing! And with the tool bag? Next level awesomeness!
Which chrome paint did you use?
Thanks for the input Doc!

Thanks to OJ on the saddle!!

That thing is glowing! The bag was off eBay. Not sure of the “M.Rufous” or whatever it is name brand: maybe it’s popular in India where the bag came from! All I know is, the green leather looked cool online!

I had to laugh, The painters tape I used for masking was on for sometime and also did not react well with the sun and outdoor use.

There was all sorts of lines and adhesive residue left behind from baking in the sun I guess.

There were also a few spots of overspray that crept through, and I have no idea how that happened!!!

In desperation I hit the thing with some goo-gone; the adhesive and overspray came off effortlessly and the seat was glowing with this rich patina…. I was like; “what the ….. ?”

Finally on your chrome spray paint, I must confess, without question, the best results I have ever had with a “chrome” paint.

This is definitely not the stuff we had as kids !!!!

Just big-box rust oleum metallic. I don’t think I’ll ever use any other brand.

-got it as a Father’s Day gift from baby Jude #3!
2E304793-0502-4AD0-AAED-A1F23A8D1C5D.jpeg

So, falling behind here

I’ve been messing with these tires for over an hour

These are cheap, eBay Kenda’s. And I’m paying for it now

After killing my self in 90 degree heat, trying to get the white wall even, it’s clear now the tire just has a bit too much tolerance in it, is too big and simply won’t go on evenly with one set of hand at least

I gave up. This is as close as I’m going to get.
19FB9C31-CD54-4F70-B782-B84EC476ADED.jpeg

As long as the bead stays seated, that's the best you're gonna get. Sometimes the whitewall just isn't even on the tire.

I've also had trouble with beads that don't want to get all the way up and in. As others have said, put in just enough air to get them to hold their shape, then twist at them till the beads look even.

On a few occasions, I have had good luck using silicone spray on the bead, specifically with Kenda 26 x 1 3/8 lightweight tires for Schwinn S5/S6 wheels. Fought with them like you for a while, then tried the silicone trick and inflated them maybe 10-15 PSI over recommended... there was this loud SNAP and then the bead was seated all the way up all the way around. Aired them back down to spec and we were good to go.

As long as the bead stays seated, that's the best you're gonna get. Sometimes the whitewall just isn't even on the tire.

I've also had trouble with beads that don't want to get all the way up and in. As others have said, put in just enough air to get them to hold their shape, then twist at them till the beads look even.

On a few occasions, I have had good luck using silicone spray on the bead, specifically with Kenda 26 x 1 3/8 lightweight tires for Schwinn S5/S6 wheels. Fought with them like you for a while, then tried the silicone trick and inflated them maybe 10-15 PSI over recommended... there was this loud SNAP and then the bead was seated all the way up all the way around. Aired them back down to spec and we were good to go.
So…. You sprayed the silicone between the tire and the bead and inflated? Worth a shot!

I tried to just overinflate with no spray…..no-go

Yeah, ParkRNDL has a great suggestion. Either the silicone , or even a light soapy water on the edge of the tire near the bead. It breaks the friction between the rubber and the metal rim, allowing the bead to slip all the way on.

I use ptfe or teflon spray now, since silicone gives trouble with paint afterwards. Silicone travels quite far too, if you even need to paint something in that same area.
No spray is perfect, have not tried @OddJob his soapy water.

At 90 degree fahrenheit, the tires and rims get some sweatdrops too. Works great with rat builds.

Cant wait for the finished ride!

How's this build coming along? One month to go baby! Bring it on home!

How's this build coming along? One month to go baby! Bring it on home!
Thanks for reaching out OJ! -great to hear from you !

I must confess I got super discouraged on my white walls!!!!!

Also, the weather here at the back .40 has been like 94.40 degrees!!!!!

Wrenching on bikes in 95 degree heat and no shade is not quite as fun as wrenching on them in 75 degrees! lol

Thanks for the nudge…. Let me get this thing moving and get past “the great white wall debacle.”

-the number one impediment to progress is perfection!!!!

So….. good and bad day here at the back .40!

Good news; thanks for everyone’s input on the tire lube and properly seating for installation

I installed the wheels and was just going to deal with it, but I just couldn’t let it go.

The tires looked like eggs when I gave them a test spin….. off they came and back to the drawing board!!!!!

I opted for the dish soap and water lube: (I was half frustrated and smothered the beads, both sides, all tires in dish soap and water )

I laid the wheel on it’s axle, then promptly over inflated! (Only like 5 psi).

Dude!!!! The tires gently slid into place and all beads seated perfectly!!! Thanks to all for your ideas on the lube and inflation!!!!

Here she is with squared up white walls:
8C1901DB-6502-4439-B28E-547A33C0A98B.jpeg

Just a wild guess. Try moving the chain to the gear on the cluster which matches the shifter and see if turns.
Thanks!!!!

-I tried that, but the heat had my patience wearing thin….. I’ll try to line up the gear lever, gear, chain and derailleur later this week after work sometime

If the chain has more width, it might be contacting the sides of the cages. But it looks ok. I would take the chain off and check the operation of the cage wheels, then check the cluster and rear wheel to see if there's anything hindering them. And lastly, checking the clearance of the chain around the chain wheels and front derailleur.

Latest posts

Back