Schwinn Varsity repaint and minor modifications

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this Jan 73 26" frame Schwinn Varsity for many years and spray can bombed it years ago when I first built it as an IGH bike with a Shimano 7 speed. Over the years it gradually transformed into a 1x10 derailleur bike. I recently noticed how much damage the chain had done to the chainstay paint. As in no paint left at all. Not only that there was lots of wear and tear on the paint job and a new paint job was in order. This photo shows tire wear damage over the years. No paint there, nothing but rust.
IMG_1655.jpg
IMG_1691.jpg
IMG_1688.jpg

Last edited:
I decided to spend some money on a powder coat and chose a local company to do the honors. I also decided to paint the Profile cranks which had also suffered many indignities over the years to their paint job. I also decided to paint the Velo Orange paint guard even though it is aluminum it would match the rest of the bike. So off to the painter. After waiting about a month I get a call and go get the bike and I have to say professional painters are way, way better than I am. I also order some extra heavy UV protected decals from Velo Cal and started installing them. They are beautiful. However they cannot be clear coated as no paint will stick to gloss powder coat except gloss powder coat. They do make decals that will withstand the powdercoat oven but I did not know that until after I had affixed my decals onto the frame. I guess the powdercoaters first paint the color coat and heat it. Then they put on the high temp decals over which a gloss coat of powder can be sprayed then heated. You can see the Schwinn decal in light green neon on the downtube.
IMG_1804.jpg

Last edited:
I also tackled the problem of the chain banging on the drop out and the chainstay taking off all the paint. This is a bad picture of a thin sheet of Stainless steel I siliconed onto the inside of the drive dropout to keep the chain from taking the paint off. I'm using a 10 speed cassette and I guess the 11 tooth sprocket is closer to the dropout than the stock 5 speed freewheel setup. If you zoom on the rear chainstay you can see how the chain ate the paint and actually left little marks on the chainstay. I mounted a thin piece of stainless plate onto the chainstay with silicone after cutting and beating it into shape. I'm already getting marks on the plate but that is what it is for. This is how the bike looks all put back together. I'm really glad I painted the cranks, they look cool IMHO.
IMG_1953.jpg
IMG_1954.jpg
IMG_1507.jpg
5 speed freewheel allowed.
IMG_1924.jpg

Today I took my dogs for a run after the rain and this happened to my new paint job. The first effort to take all that good powdercoat off and get it ready for a new paint job eventually. But what good is a bike if it is not used. Hope you enjoyed my foray into other people painting my bike.
IMG_1963.jpg

I loved the old version with the battered paint, but the green decals look so sick over the yellow powder! I'm glad you are back to putting miles on it. A purpose built machine like this is supposed to have battle scars

I loved the old version with the battered paint, but the green decals look so sick over the yellow powder! I'm glad you are back to putting miles on it. A purpose built machine like this is supposed to have battle scars
Thanks Matti, I've decided to see if I can get the decal maker to make some curved decals for the Velocity Chukar rims. I found my original patterns for the paint job I did on the original rims. This has been a fun, but slow, process and am loving the ride again.

Latest posts

Back