Scooter project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Body: Kokomo, In... Mind: in the gutter. Soul: in
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well I have been wanting to get another scooter project for a while now and I got one. I found this old beast with flat tires and weeds growing up around it in a back yard about 3 blocks from my house. I finally stopped today and asked about it and a deal was struck for $50 bucks. It also came with a spare battery and a brand new tube to fix the front, back just needed a little air. I think that's a fair deal. Bad thing is it does not run, he lost the keys, and it is kinda rough around the edges. But for $50 I think there's some meat left on the bone for me.

yoothgeye said:
Chinese scoot?

I'm guessing 50cc.

Plans?

Yep, it's a Sun L (Sundiro, Quingi, exc.) 49 or 50 cc. As far as plans go I'm going to get it running and probably flip it for profit then buy this cool '65 or '66 Ford pickup I been eyeballing for 5 years that's sitting in a yard about a block from my house and hasn't moved in years.

Got the ignition at the locksmith getting a key made so I can start work on it tomorrow after I get keys.

yoothgeye said:
outskirtscustoms said:
Got the ignition at the locksmith getting a key made so I can start work on it tomorrow after I get keys.

Why didn't you just replace it with a switch?

Around here the more original a scooter is the more it's worth. If a scooter doesn't have keys it's a $100+ hit in price right off the bat. Also I have the ignition and it's not busted so it's only $25 to get one made if I take the ignition out and take it up there so it's a bargain.

Another day of waiting, The locksmith didn't have the right key blank in the office but he said he's got one on the truck so I'll have to wait till tomorrow to get started on it. :cry:

Well I went to the locksmith and got good news and better news, good news is he got the key made and it works great! The better news is since he held me up an extra day and I rode my bike across town 3 times he didn't charge me anything so I got the key made for FREE!!! :D

Got home and put the ignition in and tried it and nothing, so I took the carb off, cleaned it, put it back on, and still nothing, checked for spark and it had great spark... my arm is still numb :oops: , so I pulled the gas lines to the tank and sucked on the vacuum line and guess what no gas comes out...Took the tank off and cleaned it out, took the fuel valve off the bottom of the tank and there was some gunk in there so I cleaned the screen and put it back together and on the 3rd kick it fired up and smoked like a chimney for about a minute till all the oil burned off (oil pump is driven by the back wheel and I pushed it home not running) then it just sat there and purred. Runs great! I took it to the end of the alley and back (No registration yet) and it's got great get up and go. I forgot how much fun these little buggers are. Went home and got it all cleaned up.

This is the worst of the whole scooter. The one lens is from a different year but was all I could find so it doesn't fit right and there is one crack in the plastic.

yoothgeye said:
Registration? What's the rule there in Indiana?

50cc here is grab it and ride.

Here you have to get it registered with the police department like a bicycle. They give you a sticker like a bicycle license that you put on it. $25 initial fee then $10 a year to re-new it. They just started it I think two years ago because too many scooters were getting stolen and Indiana is always looking for ways to take money from the people... :roll: It's a $100 fine if you're caught riding without a sticker and they tow and impound your scooter.

Wish me luck, I might have the scooter traded. Waiting on my neighbor down the road to think it over. I don't want to say what it is till after I get it. :mrgreen:

yoothgeye said:
We already know it's an old truck.
Not the old truck you're thinking of, haven't found anyone home on that one. This one is a '93 S-10 4 banger 5 speed. Still waiting to hear back from the guy.

outskirtscustoms said:
yoothgeye said:
Not the old truck you're thinking of, haven't found anyone home on that one. This one is a '93 S-10 4 banger 5 speed. Still waiting to hear back from the guy.

Short bed regular cab? If so, you've got me drooling.

'93: square body 8)
4 cylinder 5 speed: getting over 30mpg 8)

Want want want! I will get one, just have to get some seats and seat belts out of an old Subaru Brat to have my kids ride with me.

Cool man, I want a little scooter. Im sick of driving my dodge ram everywhere :lol:

yoothgeye said:
outskirtscustoms said:
yoothgeye said:

Short bed regular cab? If so, you've got me drooling.

'93: square body 8)
4 cylinder 5 speed: getting over 30mpg 8)

Want want want! I will get one, just have to get some seats and seat belts out of an old Subaru Brat to have my kids ride with me.

Long bed regular cab

ricksterr1221 said:
Cool man, I want a little scooter. Im sick of driving my dodge ram everywhere :lol:

Trade you? :mrgreen: Think of all the money you'd save in gas.

Latest posts

Back