Scratchy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried a little wet sanding on the forks this afternoon and, oh man! You can see how badly mangled the chrome was in these pics.
IMG_1352.JPG
IMG_1353.JPG

10 or 15 minutes wet sanding with 1200 grit yielded some eye opening results. I just did the shoulder of the fork and you can really see the contrast.
IMG_1354.JPG
IMG_1355.JPG

It's already looking pretty decent! I've still got the 1500 and 2000 grit to do too. I think the yellowish hue I was seeing must be the softer tone of the nickel plating under the chrome.

I think I might be getting that original decal sheet after all if the frame comes out this well. It's fairly well scuffed but I think it's worth a shot.
IMG_1357.JPG
IMG_1359.JPG

I'll break out my super big gulp sized jar of elbow grease and maybe (hopefully) I can stick to the original plan. 😁
:cool:👍

Last edited:
Got the seat post today. I had one of those blue anodized grooved posts on it at some point but this is the style I had on it when I got a little older.
IMG_1363.JPG

I worked on the left side lower tube for a half hour or so. Wet sanded with 1200, 1500, 2000, polished with green and white rouge and... it still needs a ton of work. But a lot better than it was for sure. It looked like the top tube in this pic before polishing.
IMG_1364.JPG

With a bunch of time sanding I think it may be fairly presentable. :thumbsup:

Some wax or polish will make that SHINE!!:cool:
I hit it with the polish occasionally to see what it's looking like. I think some more work with the 2000 might help. I might get some 2500 and 3000. I wonder if some swirl remover might help. It's always going to show scratches and swirls but it's amazing how much better it is. :cool2:

The car door ate my thumb the other day and I can't do much with my left hand. But I can still wet sand!
IMG_1405.JPG

I got the left side of the frame done with the wet sanding and polishing. Still need to do the other side but I should have that done in the next day or so and I'll be ready to begin assembly when my parts show up sometime this week.

This is the side I haven't done yet.
IMG_1410.JPG

And the side that is polished.
IMG_1408.JPG

It's never going to be nice chrome again but at least it's shiny and so much better than I thought was possible. It's just got character. :thumbsup:

This pains me to keep up with, because I know I have the same work ahead of me. @RustyGold believes the frame and fork may be worth some bucks if I clean them up. I just want a giant vat of evaporust to make the job easier. Regardless, I'm really, really, really hoping the frame and forks aren't scratched like yours.

Really.

Here where I live, over half the bikes you see riding around are sprayed black, frame, bars, grips, tires, chain, chrome, everything, because they’re stolen.

I’ve grown to hate it.
I hear you on that. The 1st 2 paint jobs on this frame were better than the rattle black. It's possible it was stolen once upon a time but no way to tell. I bought it from a reputable person so I know it wasn't stolen recently. I just hope that whoever wound up with my original bike needed a good bike and got some good use out of it.

Wet sanding complete. Reassembly begun. The chrome came out just ok in areas and much better than expected in others. It's definitely down into the nickel plating in the more heavily sanded places but I like the softer glow of the nickel. I should have it road worthy in a day or so. Really looking forward to riding it!
IMG_1413.JPG
IMG_1414.JPG

Latest posts

Back