Seat Springs - How do I get them spread apart to paint?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I'm working on at this moment:

I'm looking for any tips on how you guys keep seat springs spread apart so I can spray paint them and get the paint between the coils, not just on the outside and the inside of the "beehive". I've taken the whole seat apart and am working specifically on the springs. These are the tightly wound ones whereby the whole thing is touching each other. I've been able to hold them in a vice and use a screwdriver to bend them this way and that so they open up enough to wire-brush and sand out all the rust but I can't figure out how to apply continuous pressure to the whole spring so they'll stay spread long enough for the paint to dry. Any ideas?

I appreciate any and all tips. And if I'm just being way too anal-retentive (dang, I hope that's the correct spelling for that word for the way I intend it! :shock: ), please let me know that too. I mean, if the majority of you artists would just spray the springs as they are and not worry about the paint getting between the pieces that touch I need to hear that too! I'm being reminded by my wife that I can't see the dang things when I'm riding anyway! :D

Thanks, Greg

sensor said:
what year/make is it? or post a pic :wink:

Aww Shoot, Sensor, I knew this day would come. Ask the experts a question and someone's gonna say "post a pic"! :lol: But I deserve it! OK, bear with me for a few days so I can steal away one of the cameras from the kids and then get the other one to show me how to post a pic!

Actually, I've been needing to learn how to do it anyway so I can show off some of my labors. I've been a website loiterer for long before I actually registered. I've been needing a little nudge in order to dive in head first, now that I've stuck my toes in the water.

BTW, I've been told it's a '41 Elgin. This one's a girl's bike. It'll end up being for my daughter if she wants it. Anyway, another reason why I need to learn how to post pics - so I can get the brethren here to confirm the year.

Thanks for taking an interest,
Pudge

PS: I'm happy to report that I just bought my first can of PB Blaster today after reading so many recommendations here! Looking forward to the results on a few of the parts I sprayed today.

What you do is get a piece of all-thread (threaded rod). I'd say 3/16" or 1/4" would do it. Put the all-thread with a couple nuts (and washers if you need them) inside the spring. Turn one of the nuts until the spring is spread enough to paint. I've done this before and it works okay. If you want some really nice paint to use, get a can of Krylon semi-flat black. I think it is #1613. It is discontinued now but you can still find it on the net. The semi-flat is just the right amount of gloss for a seat pan and frame. It's lacquer and is super nice to use. Here's what the semi-flat black looks like on a seat. The stupid eBay adds cut off my spring! :x Gary
DSC04198.jpg

Deorman and Gary, Thanks for the tips on spreading my springs. Because it's a bit different than the pic Gary attached I can't quite use his method without some significant adjusting. My spring is wide open at the top, leaving nothing to screw the threaded rod into to cause the spreading action. I know, a pic would help to explain. Anyway, looks like I might have to go back to Deorman's idea which I had started and aborted, thinking there had to be an easier way! I am using skinny rivets between each coil and have to do so on a few sides so it doesn't just open one side and not the other. They look like porcupines now!

Gary - great looking seat you finished. And the EBAY ads didn't cut off any of the pic in my view. I appreciate the paint recommendation but have already sprayed all the other pieces (other than these springs) with a satan black. It probably has a bit more sheen than a semi-flat but it's not at all glossy. It should look pretty good when finished. I'll shoot you a pic when done, although it won't look as nice as what you've done. You guys always set the bar high. Thanks again.

sensor said:
thats why i was asking for pics :wink:
theres about 10 different styles of seat springs
Touche, my friend! Just don't force me to attach a pic of my first idea - "the traction contraption" using the swingset chains attached to the spring with wire coat hangers on the top end and a coat hanger attached to the other end with a dumbbell swinging from the bottom, stretching the spring apart! It worked for a few minutes until the weight unwound the hanger around the dumbbell and it dropped off, catapulting the whole rig into the air, causing a brief moment of chaos! :D Thank goodness I was still rattling and hadn't started spraying yet. And that's when I looked at the imaginary bracelet on my wrist that reads "WWRRBD?" (What Would Rat Rod Bikes Do?) and came in to start the thread!

I suggested screws because the threads would keep them from popping out. Hopefully your "porcupine" hasn't "quilled" anyone. :shock: Probably easier to unload without screwing up the paint, though. :|

Latest posts

Back