seatpost question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok i'm learning the many "fun" things about dealing with older frames, the seatpost tube on my western flyer bike is small in diameter, i honestly don't know how skinny seat tubes can get

flyer08.jpg

sorry for the awful photo, its about .75 of an inch across...which is fantastic because the smallest seatpost i have is monstrous compared to this thing.

any ideas? anyone have a post lying around that will fit?

im using a scwhinnn.......i looked around and i think a 13/16" seat post will work

i have another question tho regarding the stem, the headtube on my fork has a what feel like a little ledge in it all the way around the tube which is stopping me from putting the stem in any further, however the stem i have feels loose in the tube (i can jiggle it) has anyone dealt with this before?

Yeah, that appears to be one of many sizes you run across on these old frames. I have a Colson frame that also takes a .75 in seatpost,luckily I got it with one. The Rollfast in my build thread has a 27/32" seatpost right between a schwinn and a bmx size. 5/8 was common on some brands

The fork-stem issue is pretty common from what I've seen, if you notice on ebay most if not all of the pre-war stems are really short. If you try to use a modern stem, they don't go down very far.

Your frame probably came with a solid seatpost with an L bend. If you have a steel fabrication shop near you then you could buy a short piece of round stock in the diameter you need and bend it. I have made a number of longer layback posts out of round stock. It makes a small frame more rideable for a taller person.
The steerer tubes on early forks were thinner in wall thickness, so a lot of ballooners have slightly larger stems than middleweight bikes.
I may have a stem and a post that will work. Let me know if you end up needing them.

Back