Second Helping

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my second entry into the ORBO. Since I have the Splat rat nearly finished and there's a lot of time until March 1st, I should have no trouble getting this bike done. And with the new looming lockdown again, my traveling plans will probably be on hold again for another year, giving me tons of free time in the bike bunker.

This is a newer Chinese made bike that has seen a couple of makeovers. This time it will be a basic klunker, one speed with coaster like I had planned for my first entry. As with the other one, I'll do a splatter paint job, the blue color makes a good starting point. It will be in the colors of the Philippines, yellow, red, blue and white.

Ph.jpg

Last edited:
Still no name yet, but a change in direction. The Chinese coaster hub is so poor I'm not going to use it other than a paperweight. I'm adding brakes to my other bike with one of those hubs because it has almost no stopping power.
So, this already has V brakes, so they will stay and it will get a derailleur with a Shimano cluster that has a super low gear. I have to get a front hub and lace up a front wheel for the rims to match. These are the same cheap rims that it came with, only now with ss spokes and better hubs.

blue 10 dec.jpg

I found some good rims, spokes and hubs on sale, so I'm going to make up a new wheelset. And I settled on name, Second Helping. If it gets finished before February, I might start a third entry if there's a frame suitable.

I stripped down the frame and cleaned it in prep for the splashing of colors. Usually I would test ride then paint, but the advantage to a splatter paint job is touching it up. The frame has some scratches but the others colors will hide them.

frame 15 dec 21.jpg

I spent the afternoon doing the three colors. Yellow, red, and white. Next will be clear coat. My spokes showed up also, 3 colors and enough for 6 wheels. I'm going to alternate the colors on the wheels. I just need the hubs to show up and I'll be lacing them up.

paint done 15 dec 21.jpg

spokes 15 dec 21.jpg

Last edited:
I added the new V brakes and crankset. I remembered I wanted to splatter paint the pedals and forgot all about them. I took care of them this morning, just need clear later. I should have everything set to just add the wheels and ride.

17 dec 21 build.jpg
pedals.jpg

Still no hubs, even though they are supposed to be in the local area. 8 bucks for sealed bearing hubs. I can wait a little longer. I made a diagram so I can make sure the spokes alternate as I lace up the wheels. Then I tried them in different orders, 3, 6, and 12 in a row to see how that might look. I'm leaning toward the original plan, but for sure the yellow stickers are coming off.

spoke1.jpg
spoke2.jpg
spoke3.jpg
spoke4.jpg

Still no hubs, even though they are supposed to be in the local area. 8 bucks for sealed bearing hubs. I can wait a little longer. I made a diagram so I can make sure the spokes alternate as I lace up the wheels. Then I tried them in different orders, 3, 6, and 12 in a row to see how that might look. I'm leaning toward the original plan, but for sure the yellow stickers are coming off.

View attachment 181313View attachment 181314View attachment 181315View attachment 181316
With these colors maybe a 3L3T will look good!

I looked and found out what 3L3T is. I may give that a try, my brakes are rim brakes so that's not an issue. Is there an easy way to do it? I learned 2, 3, and 4 cross from youtube vids. Is there a good simple, not talking all day long about spoke theory stuff, video out there?

I think I can use this pic and go from there.

View attachment 181405

If the guys at the bike shop haven't seen this before, does it true up like a normal 3x wheel?
It should true like a normal 3x wheel and the spoke length is exactly the same as in 3x. I did a set a few years ago and I think it's easier to lace as 3x, but harder to true...

Latest posts

Back