Shifter questions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can i see some pictures of your shifters on your bikes. i have a chopper im building that has a 10 speed shifter, i want to make it look cool somehow but dont know which direction to go with it, any help would be great, thanks guys

A problem with making a shifter for a ten speed is it will have long throw the larger the handle. So you my want to stick to a very short one.

heres my 5 speed stem shifter
DSCN0289.jpg

Dunno if it's a twist-grip shifter,but if it is,you might consider a solution as seen below. In the pic,it's a 3-speed but why wouldn't it work with a 10-speed? Doesn't have to be in the same position on the frame,that's up to your own fantasy. Good luck.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=45410

Hey!, heavychevy... I got an old, kinda funky AMF 10speed stickshift shifter. It works, but i am not sure if everything you need to mount it to the frame is there. Looks easy enough. PM me if you want it and I will make you a smoking deal. Would take picts, but that whole process is going slooooow. Soon I hope!

i've had an idea kinda brewing, but i need a new project (or the right hub to get me going on a current project) before i can try it.

say you weld a section of handlebar like a stick shift on the frame where you want a shifter, then just take the twistgrip or thumb shifter and mount it at the top, like a shift knob. i'm thinking the stick is always in the same position where you can just feel for it , and you're twisting or thumbing the shift "knob" instead. i'm thinking like a jockey or suicide shifter. when i have the one on my regular rider in first i sometimes have to feel around more to put my hand on it.

That's more or less what I've been thinking about doing, although I'm using a twist-grip 7-speed shifter for a derailer set up. I was going to mount it where downtube shifters normally would be, on a modified Varsity. However, I've been trying to wrap my head around how do it with a bolt-on mount, I don't want to weld to the frame. But I was envisioning a section of handlebar cut with a fishmouth to butt up against the frame, and then have some sort of clamp around it to attach it. Or possibly modifying a threadless stem with a 1" clamp diameter (since that would fit the frame tubing), and turn down the neck of it to a handlebar diameter...

Latest posts

Back