Shimano 3 speed vs Sturmey Archer 3 speed

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MazdaFlyer

Like “RadioFlyer”
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to put together a new wheel set. Imagine this topic has been discussed previously. Anyway any thoughts on pros and cons of the two brands. Will probably use the coaster brake type.

Lots of people like the Sturmey Archer hubs . I find they are hard to adjust.
The Nexus is about as easy as you can get. This is my opinion and the Sturmey
guys will tell you how good they are. Kinda like Ford's and Chevy's.

I have new Sturmey Archer 2sp coaster brake and freewheel model's at present. I like the freewheel model but the coaster brake one always seem to always be in the wrong gear. Every time you brake it changes gear ratios. I like the beefier appearance of the SA's, the Shimano's look too compact.
I also have a couple of Shimano 3 speed coasters which do work flawless. The newer SA's have this big bulky fulcrum arm and cover and the 5 speeds don't come with coaster brakes so you end up with another brae cable.
I'm thinking I'd like to use a new SA 3 sp coaster brake hub, so any comments or experience with one of these?

Its probably a matter of preference. Looks like your a Sturmey Archer guy
you probably drive a ford too. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Uncle Stretch said:
Its probably a matter of preference. Looks like your a Sturmey Archer guy
you probably drive a ford too. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
yah, I'm a Ford guy. We have a couple of Ford built Mazda's at present.

the Nexus seem to be OK, the earlier Shimano stuff was less than stellar... the older SA hubs were easier to rebuild as well...

I've got both SA and Shimano. I agree on the adjustment subject: Shimano is dead simple,, but SA is quite easy too.
The only con on SA that I can think of, could be the little chain. Because it's on the outside of the hub, it could get damaged quite easily (hasn't happened yet).
So I think it's a draw.

I have one of each with coaster brakes, heavy duty SA, Shimano 3CC, and Sram/Sachs. The best shifting and braking is the Sram/Sachs, the other 2 are still good though, just need a little more braking power.

Back