Shipping tires

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My buddy Marty @ 10~18 Kustoms always sends me tires with tubes partially inflated & wrapped in shrink wrap. That way you don't have to fold them up making it harder to mount. Shipping them this way usually runs around $10 or so (for 2 tires & tubes), depending on how far you are shipping them. They always arrive ready to mount. Hope this helps!

Most don't like tire that have been folded up but usually this will not hurt the tire. If the tires are older, definitely don't fold them.

btt

Is this still the preferred method for shipping tires? What if there's no tubes?

And wheels - can they be shipped wrapped or do they need to be boxed?

Thank you! :)

OutlawAlice said:
btt

Is this still the preferred method for shipping tires? What if there's no tubes?

And wheels - can they be shipped wrapped or do they need to be boxed?

Thank you! :)

You can just shrink wrap the tires without tubes in them & they will generally be OK. Wheels need to be boxed & packed well!
Hope this is of some help.

It did! Thank you! I have a massive pile of sweet old tires an wheels that need new homes. Now I know what to do with them! :D

do u have them posted in the for sale section ??? :mrgreen:
ive seen em shipped both ways ...wadded up in a ball ...i let em lay n the hot sun mess with the bead wire and they come out ok ...and i have also got em shipped in a nice box ..flat ready 2 mount !!! much better IMO ...

When shipping wheels, take the axles out so they won't poke through the box, or use the plastic axle covers sometimes found on new bikes. I've used small pieces of wood, 4" x 4", and taped them to the axle ends. If I remove the axle, I'll put it and the guts in a plastic bag and tape it to the spokes so it can't come loose.

mikesbikes36 said:
do u have them posted in the for sale section ??? :mrgreen:
ive seen em shipped both ways ...wadded up in a ball ...i let em lay n the hot sun mess with the bead wire and they come out ok ...and i have also got em shipped in a nice box ..flat ready 2 mount !!! much better IMO ...

Not yet, but I will! Headed out for a much needed "vacation" in the morning. I checked on boxes, and they cost nearly as much as the tires! I'm liking the wrapped up option. :mrgreen:

Wildcat said:
When shipping wheels, take the axles out so they won't poke through the box, or use the plastic axle covers sometimes found on new bikes. I've used small pieces of wood, 4" x 4", and taped them to the axle ends. If I remove the axle, I'll put it and the guts in a plastic bag and tape it to the spokes so it can't come loose.

I was fiddling with a 3 speed rear wheel I have and I think they'd be better shipped dissasembled, too.

Here's a pic of the pile I need to "thin out". LOL!

P6241184.jpg

mikesbikes36 said:
i see what looks like a couple slicks in that pile ...may i call first dibs on those if they r slicks .... :mrgreen:
have fun on ur vacation !!

I have two Goodyear Grasshopper slicks and a couple others that I can't think of the name. Brand new old stock. Still got nips on them. lol

Got two ther slicks mounted on rims with matching front skinnys. I'll get them seperated out and listed!

btt

I haven't forgotten! Getting a powder coating biz off the ground is taking up all my free time and I haven't found a shrink wrapper yet - I don't want to buy one. I might get plastic sheeting and cut it into strips and tape it firmly. Think that would work??

yeah i have done it that way before ...i wrapped it up in heavy duty packing paper first (kinda like a paper sack u use to get at the store) ..and then wrappped it up in dollor store plastic wrap ...works good and its cheap !!!! gotta love cheap !!! :mrgreen:

I haven't forgotten anybody! i still have those slicks. Just got really busy trying to get the powder coating shop off the ground! :D

Latest posts

Back