Should I feel guilty changing this???

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am looking to fix my bike find up. I don't know anything about it however. If I were to strip it and have it powder coated, should I feel guilty?
I don't know much about this bike.

What I do know about it: J.C. Higgins. Made in Austria (I believe sold at Sears). Called the Tourist. Nice dark blue color with j.c. higgins decals. Also has a (non original, im guessing) character on the front. Has an original generator light, and the wheel guard has a little notch for it to butt up next to. The guy said it has the original wheels (tire says Carlisle super ride)

NEVER, feel guilty....It's yours. Make it "YOURS"!

For me, I don't know why I wouldn't feel really bad as Its really nice paint with some amazing decals like that rocket boy, thats cool!
for me It would never look the same as it did before. It is your bike after all You can do whatever you want with it.

Wiki Nick.

JC Higgins bikes were made before 1963 and sold at Sears. I have one from 63, but it's brand is Sears, same bike though, made in Austria. Next to the work "speed" on the rear hub is a 2 digit date, mine of course has a 63. I can't tell from your pic, spokes in the way.

If the paint looks too dull, try waxing it with car wax. If you want a different color, then go for the powdercoat. There's not a big market for these cool bikes, so keeping it original isn't a big deal.

I would find out how much it would cost to do what you would like
to the bike. It might be more than what you paid for the bike. Ask
yourself if it's worth it to you. I remember buying an original once.
The colors were slightly faded. I completely re-painted & chromed
everything to like new condition. I found out that I should have just
cleaned it up & kept it original. That original patina was the reason
I liked it in the first place. :oops: My 2¢

Your bike to do as YOU wish but I'm with Wiki Nick, I wouldn't do it. It is really too nice as is and you can never get that patina back. It is really a sweet bike as is, just needs cleaning & polishing.

For example, I turned this bike into something that looks completely different by just changing some components such as seat, grips, tire, etc giving it a whole new look without touching the great patina of the original paint. I'd spend my money on components rather than paint.

Don't toss the original parts though, keep them to go back on the bike if you ever sell it including those original tires.

BEFORE

AFTER

I wouldn't feel bad if you chopped it in half and hung tires from it. (I have done this with two women's Schwinns) Paint it, chop it, customize it, make it your own!

I have done worse! My Coppertone and Campus Green Schwinn tire hangers.
image-39.jpg

Latest posts

Back