Show me your ape hangers

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to get ape hangers for my bikes, but it's so hard to figure out the height that would look kick ....

There's a post here with pictures of some great looking bikes with ape hangers, but it's the bikes only. Looking for people to post some pics with their kick ... ape hangers. If you could post your height, bike/rim size, and height of the handlebars, it would really help me out to visualize what would be too low or too high.

I'm size fee tall and there three bikes I would like to get ape hangers for.........20, 24, and 26 inch rim size bikes.

Thanks!!!

12242_10206560103663821_6596020078447837217_n.jpg

20" ape on a 18" frame.

This is a big help. Do you happen to know the wheel size also? I really like this vibe.

I got the Ape bug . Bought some tall apes at a bike swap . The Flex in them, made me take them off and sell them . Look was great , but riding was another thing ! My friend used motorcycle Apes and they are thicker and stomger

I have apehanger bars on virtually all of my 26" cruiser frames.

A "modern" Schwinn Jaguar with 25" tall apehangers -- fun to ride, it got a LOT of looks, but they were a little too tall to be practical for longer rides. I also managed to crack a cheap alloy BMX stem because of the extra leverage from such long bars, but there weren't any problems when I replaced it with a name-brand, steel BMX stem:

blackbobbersuperape_zps602c0825.jpg~original.jpg

After the novelty of the super-tall bars wore off, I started using the relatively common Sunlite 13" tall, 32" wide apehanger bars on pretty much all of my builds.

The same Jaguar with a few more modifications and -- this was the bike that I rode the most over the past few years:

jaguar 4.jpg

jaguar 6.jpg

A newer Schwinn Claiirmont -- pretty much the same frame, with a factory rack but mostly "stock" except for the bars and seatpost:

clairmont 2.jpg

A 26" Raleigh beach cruiser with a banana seat, 24" front wheel, and a "stick shift" made from a Grip Shift:

Muscle bike 99% forum.jpg

My "stretch cruiser" which started off as a tandem:

tandem 0.jpg

And my newest aluminum beach cruiser, which will be getting some new red tires and grips this weekend:

fito 2017.jpg

Old school, As found, except padded seat and rear rack,, more than 20 years ago, 61 Hornet with apes. And when I was just a squirt, to little to be bad but, before the invent of 20" sting ray types, this is what the true 'Bad boy's' were sportin in L.A. way back then. Black Schwinn's wit apes. And if-en me memory recollects, media was hot in regard to attempting to outlaw dem bars on bikes too.

You could get em taller by ripping off a goose neck (stem) from a cycle truck. [wink] Alternatively, local kids sold parts and about a quarter would be the non- 'midnight supply' or '5 finger' discount rate.

index.php

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back