SHOW ME YOUR WORKSPACE / SHOP

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_20220315_161823.jpg

My shop before and after. Hung 6 bike hooks up and got a few hung up. Creates so much more space.
IMG_20221106_172927432.jpg

IMG_20221117_113649516.jpg

When my wife and I were looking at houses 20+ years ago I had a couple rules. It had to have a 3 car garage, and the road out front couldn't have any lines painted on it.

We found something on a cul du sac so the no lines criteria was met, but it only had a two car garage. However it also had an unfinished walkout basement. We made a deal - we could get the house as long as the basement was mine. ALL mine. She agreed, so for the past 20+ years our basement has served as my shop.

Kind of a cross shot, my benches are on the left and right of this. Anything with an engine in this shot has been sold since this was taken.
Basement.jpeg

Here's the bike stand setup I've got going. It's to the right of the first photo.
Stand_3902.JPG

I can't find anything that shows the tools down there so just check out the background of other pics I've posted? ;-)

There is a fan in a window that works pretty well when I'm doing anything that might stink, but in general I just avoid that as much as possible. I did have a rudimentary paint booth set up down there for a while but I tore that down a couple years ago.

We’ve been in this house for 5 weeks now. Made getting the garage ready a priority as I had a backlog of bikes to get done for friends and clients.

Attachments

• A6D0482D-9560-47A7-AB8A-932340C76A88.jpeg
    A6D0482D-9560-47A7-AB8A-932340C76A88.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 34AC6F08-F1E0-4B07-B3C9-B30D137833CD.jpeg
    34AC6F08-F1E0-4B07-B3C9-B30D137833CD.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
When my wife and I were looking at houses 20+ years ago I had a couple rules. It had to have a 3 car garage, and the road out front couldn't have any lines painted on it.

We found something on a cul du sac so the no lines criteria was met, but it only had a two car garage. However it also had an unfinished walkout basement. We made a deal - we could get the house as long as the basement was mine. ALL mine. She agreed, so for the past 20+ years our basement has served as my shop.

Kind of a cross shot, my benches are on the left and right of this. Anything with an engine in this shot has been sold since this was taken.
Basement.jpeg

Here's the bike stand setup I've got going. It's to the right of the first photo.
Stand_3902.JPG

I can't find anything that shows the tools down there so just check out the background of other pics I've posted? ;-)

There is a fan in a window that works pretty well when I'm doing anything that might stink, but in general I just avoid that as much as possible. I did have a rudimentary paint booth set up down there for a while but I tore that down a couple years ago.
WOW! Love all your other cars and motorcycles in there too!

I’m so jealous! One of these days……..

your floor column/jack converted to a bike stand is BRILLIANT!

WOW! Love all your other cars and motorcycles in there too!

I’m so jealous! One of these days……..

your floor column/jack converted to a bike stand is BRILLIANT!
I'm not sure if it's brilliant, but it is absolutely soild. I've never worked on a stand that is more soild mounted than that one. There is NO (discernable) give or flex in any of it.

Updated picture. Much better organized now that I've got bikes hung up and lots of stuff organized. Now need to sell a few tandems and I'll have my space back.
IMG_20221201_113609724.jpg

My garage is where the greasy stuff goes down.View attachment 223420
I devise my color ways in a closet.View attachment 223421
"the rent is too d@mn high!" - Jimmy McMillan
I noticed all the bikes are step through…. Super cool.

They are totally underrated and I’m stunned at the price difference / value difference between ’men’s’ and ‘women’s’ bikes.

It’s because we break ’em, and there’s not many old ones left. I broke my Schwinn. It’s part of the journey…

My sister’s Schwinn (Stingray clone, I painted dark Jade) would be in solid condition had I kept it. (She gave it away in ‘74 after we built her a ‘67 Mustang fastback.)

Anyhow, my point is that girls bikes do not see 1/10 of the abuse. Of course they also suffer equally from the weather. ;(

Last edited:
I noticed all the bikes are step through…. Super cool.

They are totally underrated and I’m stunned at the price difference / value difference between ’men’s’ and ‘women’s’ bikes.
They're super flexible in traffic without that bar across the top, helps to avoid knocking mirrors while squeezing between things. And they are abundant. That purple piece in the second picture is a free AMF that I painted and I generally find the Schwinns intact for $50.

They're super flexible in traffic without that bar across the top, helps to avoid knocking mirrors while squeezing between things. And they are abundant. That purple piece in the second picture is a free AMF that I painted and I generally find the Schwinns intact for $50.
I know a lot of city riders prefer Mixte/ step throughs…. interesting to know as Syracuse riding does not have a lot in common with NYC riding

Back