SHOW US YOUR 3G Bikes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Modified/Customized 2013 3G Newport in Platinum

First I will say this is an incredible riding cruiser with it's stock setup, but it was begging me to customize it. So, I had to make it my own and went with what I call a "Moto" theme. Love the geometry................

Stock Bike:

NEWPORT_PLATINUM.jpg

FRAME: TRIPOD ALUMINUM 6061 HEAT TREATED, color platinum
FORK: HI-TENSILE THREAD LESS
HANDLE BARS: 3G ROYAL
STEM: THREAD LESS ALLOY
GRIPS: 3G NEO PREAME WITH LOCK ON CNC
HEAD SET: THREAD LESS SEAL HEAD (NO MAINTENANCE)
CRANKS: ALLOY 3 PIECE CRANKS PRO WHEEL
SADDLE: 3G COMFORT SADDLE
HUBS: COASTER BRAKE
RIMS: ALUMINUM CONCAVE RIMS 26MM WIDE STAINLESS STEEL SPOKES
SPOKES: STAINLESS STEEL
TIREs: 3G BOA G (26X3.45)
CHAIN: UST BUSTER CHAIN KMC
-----------------------------------------
I tried to stay with 3G parts where I could. So, here is what I did:

-cut down the long steer tube and added a Origin8 Fix8 anodized red BMX/Mountain stem
-replaced handlebars with Felt Classic Low Rise /w crossbar
-replaced grips with OURY black grips
-added 3G fenders from 3G, they were specially made for a Newport tripod frame with BOA-G tires on it
-replaced the stock black 26" 26mm rims with 3G Jemima 26" 57mm red rims w/ black stainless spokes (purchased from RRB)
-replace chain with KMC nickle plated BMX chain
-replaced stock pedals with SpeedPlay Drillium BMX/Mountain pedals
-replaced the 118mm wide sealed bottom bracket cartridge with a 122mm to give the chain more clearance of the back tire
-replaced the rear 22T cog with a inset 22T cog to give the chain additional clearance of the back tire
-replaced the stock black BOA-Gs with creme BOA-Gs
-removed the chain guard
-replaced the saddle with an Electra XL saddle off a Flying Sue model (changed out the chrome seat rail and springs for a black one off a modern Schwinn Heavy Duti saddle.)
-added a Salsa anodized red seat clamp
-added TrikTopz black/white dice on value stems

After:
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Last edited:
Come on guys, show us your 3Gs, modified or stock, when it comes to modern cruisers these are my new favorite, tied with my previous favorite Electra. 8)

Update:
After a few long rides, I started having an issue with the chain hitting the rear tire and getting the tire dirty, and it really looks bad on creme tires. I did the following to fix the problem:

1) replaced the 118mm wide sealed bottom bracket cartridge with a 122mm to give the chain more clearance of the back tire
2) replaced the rear 22T cog with an inset 22T cog to give the chain additional clearance of the back tire

Hi guys! Great forum ad nice posts :)
Just bought a second hand 3G 59K in real bad conditions.... with of course the idea of restauring it...
However, before going crazy ;) any tip to take of the whole pedal system (don t how you call that in english..) ?? it s all rusty....

thanks in advance for your precious help!!!
Have a great day :)

I'm finally getting around to posting some pics of the 3G Newport delux 3 spd that came in a month or so ago. It's an absolutely great bike! Very smooth & a blast to ride. Rode it 20 miles last weekend on a rails to trails cruise no problem.

The only mods I've made so far are a headlight & the Brooks saddle & grips.
3Gfront_zps5528d4b3.jpg
[/url]

Lewie said:
I'm finally getting around to posting some pics of the 3G Newport delux 3 spd that came in a month or so ago. It's an absolutely great bike! Very smooth & a blast to ride. Rode it 20 miles last weekend on a rails to trails cruise no problem.

The only mods I've made so far are a headlight & the Brooks saddle & grips.
3Gfront_zps5528d4b3.jpg
[/url]

Nice, I like the black & the Brooks does it justice....

Thanks! But I need to update the pics since I took it back to stock (but with Maltese pedals iron cross pedals). I'm using the Brooks stuff on a black 38 Schwinn I recently finished.

My 3g bike is a cargo bike and kid hauler. Its not very sexy but two twelve packs fit in each rear basket :D
qelt65j

Latest posts

Back