SHOW US YOUR KLUNKERZ

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few of yall have those bso mtb tires, are those actually decent offroad?
They were 40+ years ago, so yes. Like any tire in the dirt really, all one needs to do is adjust tire pressure and how they are riding. Panaracer Pasela 27x1 tires work for me in the dirt by following those two simple rules.

spit woods1.jpg

A few of yall have those bso mtb tires, are those actually decent offroad?
You have to pay attention to tread and terrain as well. It is very muddy around here, so I need a pattern that can shed mud. These hardware store tires are on many bikes around here, and they are not fit for anything other than dry riding. The blocks are too close, the mud sticks, and you're on heavy slicks.

IMG_20220805_144934949.jpg

Really more of a street tire with dirt looks

Last edited:
They were 40+ years ago, so yes. Like any tire in the dirt really, all one needs to do is adjust tire pressure and how they are riding. Panaracer Pasela 27x1 tires work for me in the dirt by following those two simple rules.
I wasn't aware that those tires had been around so long.
You have to pay attention to tread and terrain as well. It is very muddy around here, so I need a pattern that can shed mud. These hardware store tires are on many bikes around here, and they are not fit for anything other than dry braking riding. The blocks are too close, the mud sticks, and you're on heavy slicks.

View attachment 203284

Really more of a street tire with dirt looks
I usually avoid/throw away those tires commonly found on walmart mtbs, that's why I was curious.

I wasn't aware that those tires had been around so long.
This pic of my brother is from around 1978:

Chrispy.jpg

I've ridden in your 'hood recently and a friend down in the Brandenburg area and I are creating some singletrack on his acreage. When it's greasy a tire engineered for that will obviously perform better, but when dry just about anything will work alright if tire pressure and riding within the limitations of the tread design are adhered to.

This pic of my brother is from around 1978:

View attachment 203417

I've ridden in your 'hood recently and a friend down in the Brandenburg area and I are creating some singletrack on his acreage. When it's greasy a tire engineered for that will obviously perform better, but when dry just about anything will work alright if tire pressure and riding within the limitations of the tread design are adhered to.
Sounds awesome.

Prewar Shelby bomber. I'm going to be rebuilding this one as a mid 70s hybrid when I get the rest of the parts I need.
Shelby 1.jpeg

I bought this loop tail Colson as is. It's a pretty nice machine with good shiney chrome wheels, Morrow coaster, skip tooth. I need to gear it down a bit for the hills and put some better bars on it. These look cool but are uncomfortable for me. I'm probably going to move this saddle to a different build and put a brooks on this one. Still undecided on the orange powder coat.
IMG_0368 2.JPG

My Hawthorne build off klunk with AMP Research forks.
IMG_1212.JPG

Latest posts

Back