SHOW US YOUR KLUNKERZ

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my klunker, 1958 Columbia Newsboy special. I've been riding this bike since I was 12 or so when my dad pulled it from a dumpster and fixed it up. I've got all the original fenders, chainguard, etc for this thing, but it's way more fun as a Klunker. I beat the heck out of it every weekend, and right now it's in need of a full rebuild. Rides great though! I'll take a more gallery worthy photo this weekend while out riding. I've got an Atom drum brake ready to be laced into the front wheel, and I've got my eyes out for another fork.

DSCN1105.jpg

It's almost as much fun to look at all these great old frames as it is see the finished product!
Some good stuff here! :D

4311156135_cf193c9c58.jpg

4311894668_6442bdbb9b_m.jpg

Been riding it on the local trails, made a few changes but overall a solid rider. Passed a lot of guys on $$$$ bikes on this 50 pound pig. Plan to ride it for a few months to work all the bugs out and then paint it.

More pics here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17534977@N ... 763914213/

iRide Custom Bicycles said:
Bendix said:
to paraphrase steve mcqueen in 'on any sunday', klunker people are good people. joe breeze sent me this in a reply to a fork question i emailed him a while ago. pretty cool!

GetAttachment2.jpg

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Too cool! Is that a date on it?

i think so, sounds right. :)

iRide Custom Bicycles said:
Bendix said:
to paraphrase steve mcqueen in 'on any sunday', klunker people are good people. joe breeze sent me this in a reply to a fork question i emailed him a while ago. pretty cool!

GetAttachment2.jpg

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Too cool! Is that a date on it?

I believe the story goes, Joe was measuring up a 40/41 DX as he was planning his early frames

GTCOMA said:
J_Westy said:
More of a "Bomber", but

1938 Schwinn C Model (Fleet Headbadge)

P1100850_2.jpg

I like that a lot!

Me too,
I am afraid J. is going to charge me with copyright infringement when I start putting my C together.

J_Westy said:
More of a "Bomber", but

i knew this thread was missing somebody! i like the clean lines of 'bombers' best 8)

Hammond Eggz said:
Looks great, but DANG is that a small chainring! :shock:

I geared my bomber for the climbs - I coast the downhills. Most singlespeed MTB riders run a 2:1 ratio (F:R) Most of the time I run 34T:18T which is JUST under that. I swap rear cogs from 16T-20T depending on where I'm planning to ride. Running a small chainwheel helps with ground clearance, too! BMX park guys run 25T front cogs, and rear gears as small as 7T for similar clearance reasons.

My Klunker. Found it in a dumpster. A crew was cleaning out a crack house, this and 5 other bikes. So I started with the frame, seat and rear wheel. Found a old set of bars for $3. Not even sure what the frame is, Murry, Western Flyer.
S5003224.jpg

S5003230.jpg

Nice price. That saddle is going to limit you to shorter rides though..ouch......
Enjoy the ride,
T

41DX said:
GTCOMA said:
J_Westy said:
More of a "Bomber", but

P1100850_2.jpg

I like that a lot!

Me too,
I am afraid J. is going to charge me with copyright infringement when I start putting my C together.

I wouldn't worry about it too much - there seems to be a trend going on here! - it reminds me a lot of Alan Bond's bike.
Obviously a lot of folks with the same great taste out there, these are some very nice looking bikes.
alanbondsDX.jpg

*Quick question, though - what differentiates a "Klunker", from a "Bomber"?

How many of you guys are actually taking your bike out on the dirt?

4335281140_75d6d6be1a_m.jpg

4335280318_1872f1116b_m.jpg

I've been using this as my regular trail rig since I put it together. Today there was a break in the rain and I NEEDED to go out, yesterday was too much sitting around for my tastes. So I get to the top of the range and I'm covered in mud and it's starts to rain pretty hard. The section of road to my car got most of the mud off the tires, but you can see it was a muddy ride for sure!

Hammond Eggz said:
*Quick question, though - what differentiates a "Klunker", from a "Bomber"?

Klunker: Multi-speed, usually with cantilever or drum/roller brakes f&r

Bomber: Single-speed, often coaster-brake in rear... front brake optional.

I never realized Jeff and Scooderdudes bikes looked so much alike.
Both stellar rides.
T

P1100850_2.jpg
[/quote]

alanbondsDX.jpg

White on Black just go good together:

4120DX20profile0001.jpg

If (big if) I paint the C, it will be opposite Black on white

Latest posts

Back