Show Your Muscle Bikes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I think it is a W in the serial number, even though I haven't found any info on that. Because the headbadge was attached by the maker, Huffy, not Western Auto who sold those bikes. Like Sears and other brands, they had nothing to do with the manufacture, the bikes showed up complete from the factory.

I learn something new everyday.:thumbsup:

Swingbike.jpg

One of my muscle bikes, 1976 Swingbike. Got it as a basket case, just the frame pieces and the latch. Added a few custom parts including the longer seat post so I could ride it comfortably.

Now I think it is a W in the serial number, even though I haven't found any info on that. Because the headbadge was attached by the maker, Huffy, not Western Auto who sold those bikes. Like Sears and other brands, they had nothing to do with the manufacture, the bikes showed up complete from the factory.

I learn something new everyday.:thumbsup:
I also have nothing to base that on other than using Murray as a model. Murray's serial numbers varied to whom the bike was built. 502 = Sears. X15 = JC Penny.... etc etc. There's a list out on the internet somewhere. I don't know that Huffy used W as Western Flyer, but on an actual Huffy that letter would be the first letter of the city it was manufactured. A = Azusa, California, for instance. As far as I can recall, Huffy didn't have a factory in a city that started with a W. (Walla Walla, Washington?)

Back