Silver King Unchained: BELT DRIVE....What a ride~!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Kevin B , tbat is exactly what I did! After squirting a good amount of foam inside the tire, I duct taped a piece of celophane over the hole to keep it from expanding out of the tire too much. Let it sit overnight.

Then on Wed morning, I took off the tape and leveled the foam to flush with the tire. The foam has a 'cell like' texture to it, so I applied some wood filler to smooth it out a bit. Just before I left for work at 3pm, I sprayed some Flex Seal over the tire. It all blended in nicely!

I don't have photos of the process, I was moving fast as I left right from work to our camp on Big Bear Lake in NW Wisconsin. The 10 of use who share a lake lot put a new aluminum roll-in dock in; replacing our heavy, treated 2 x 4 and steel poles dock we have had for 23 yrs. Full day on Thursday!

20220721_161447.jpg

20220721_164429.jpg

20220721_161246.jpg

It took some standing around in Home Depot today, but as soon as I saw these 2" spring clamps on sale for .99 a piece I knew how I was going to do it!

My pry bar had the right leverage and good surface area. I soaked the tire in piping hot water for 15 minutes to softenit a bit. Got the first 5" of tire seated by hand, put on a clamp, worked the bar another couple inches, added clamp 2, back to the other aide of my starting point,pry 3 inches, put I n clamp 3,etc until I seated the last section anf had all 5 clamps in place.

The right leg of the fork is bent out, see photo for evidence. I'll take the front wheel out and straighten it Monday. Original rubber pedals ( my biggest parts expense at $23 incl shipping) for a '50s trike coming tomorrow from off the 'bay. And tben she'll be ready for delivery.

20220724_145629.jpg
20220724_145618.jpg
20220724_145645.jpg
20220724_145638.jpg
20220724_153333.jpg

It took some standing around in Home Depot today, but as soon as I saw these 2" spring clamps on sale for .99 a piece I knew how I was going to do it!

My pry bar had the right leverage and good surface area. I soaked the tire in piping hot water for 15 minutes to softenit a bit. Got the first 5" of tire seated by hand, put on a clamp, worked the bar another couple inches, added clamp 2, back to the other aide of my starting point,pry 3 inches, put I n clamp 3,etc until I seated the last section anf had all 5 clamps in place.

The right leg of the fork is bent out, see photo for evidence. I'll take the front wheel out and straighten it Monday. Original rubber pedals ( my biggest parts expense at $23 incl shipping) for a '50s trike coming tomorrow from off the 'bay. And tben she'll be ready for delivery.

View attachment 201792View attachment 201791View attachment 201789View attachment 201790View attachment 201788
Great idea👍

I bet you are "TIRED" after all that prying and clamping. :D
Looks great!

That is awesome OJ!!!!! Great work!

1658877171636.png

Have fun drinking root beer floats and checking out the hot rods!

Latest posts

Back