Silver King Unchained: BELT DRIVE....What a ride~!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That Avanti is sublime. I dunno about down there, but Studebakers are almost unheard of up here. It's a treat when one pops up
There are a fair amount of Studebakers in Minnesota. Lots of dealers in the '40s, '50s and '60s in the metro as well as outstate in smaller towns. A couple of our fellow teacher family friends were all Studebaker, all the time, so we saw many iterations over our first 40 years of friendship.

That Avanti is def one of the nicest in the state.

The Avanti really introduced the razor-edged styling, after the blimpie cars of the 40's & 50's.
I don't recall anything in production at least.
No idea who got the Avanti molds etc. They were all 'glass cars AFAIK.
Probably destroyed 60 years ago.

I remember going thru a very rural Minnesota junkyard, out by Warroad I think.
We were taking badges off of Studebaker and Packard cars. My sister got the ram's head from a Dodge that I screwed to her bike.
I built her a fake "fair Lady" Stingray with chrome fenders, and the Ram up front.

The Avanti really introduced the razor-edged styling, after the blimpie cars of the 40's & 50's.
I don't recall anything in production at least.
No idea who got the Avanti molds etc. They were all 'glass cars AFAIK.
Probably destroyed 60 years ago
Avantis were continued to be made up to '06...though the last owners took some creative license in the styling. Ohio made; never Canada (Studebaker did have Canada plants, just not for Avanti).

Avanti II from '65+ (all original tooling; 327 Corvette engines)...
1965-1969-avanti-ii-1.jpg

Avanti II mid '80s update...
1985-avanti-touring-coupe.jpg

361_main_l.jpg

Last iteration Avanti ~'00...
rare-rides-the-studebaker-avanti-story-part-v.jpg

ea851c1c31cf7afa318d3b4f126439a0--cars-and-trucks-nice.jpg

The Raymond Loewey designed '53 Starliners are my favorite Stude's. I have seen mid seventies Camaros converted into a stylized version of them. Unfortunately I can't find a picture right now of the kit right now. This gives you an idea of how they do it.
CHEVROLETCamaroZ28-1855_1.jpg
Jack-Chisenhall-200mph-Studebaker-1.jpg

We owned a 1951 Starlite Coupe in Thrush brown. That was the one that you can’t tell which way it’s going if you look from the side.

Dad sold it and bought Mercury because my mom could not learn to drive stick. She eventually did learn about 1973. (20 years later!) Dad bought her a used 1967 Scout which had three stick shifts, and somehow she learned to use them.

From the 1957 Motors auto repair manual, for all you Stude spotters.
4C627DFD-3B86-47B6-A83D-1D9A876C251B.jpeg

F314874A-24C2-42EF-8EFE-05413473EB71.jpeg

Last edited:
And now....back to our regularly scheduled programming....

The Finished Builds category is up and running. Start a new thread for your build in there using the name of your bike build only, then add photos, highlights of the build, a link to your build thread, etc. Remember, your first photo at the top of your Finished Build thread will be the one used for judging in the Voting Thread after the Build Off ends on September 6, at 12 noon, Central Time in the USA.

RaT oN~!

Just found myself hanging on to the last rung before sliding down that slippery slide onto Page 2.

I'm contemplating lights for Silver King Unchained. I had this old tractor light in my stash, it's got a nice aged black to the housing and a solid lens with the vintage look.

Had to get out angle grinder and multiple tools to free it from it's stalk. Man that tubing is thick! And it was spot welded in a bunch of, well, 'spots' to the inside of the housing; which is brass, pretty cool.

I'm no Edison like some y'all, so I will go with a pre-made LED light of some kind to illuminate.

20220813_103122.jpg
20220813_103141.jpg
20220813_103149.jpg
20220813_105901.jpg
20220813_105853.jpg

And then, mount high, or mount low? And yeah,I know, I'm holding it in my hand so not really a mock up. I'm 'mocking' a mock up...

20220813_123220.jpg
20220813_123228.jpg

Great looking light.
As far as position, it's too hard to tell without seeing how it relates to the whole bike.
My guess is high, but it is a wild donkey guess.

Light looks great man!
Nice conversion on both lights! and they fit the build vibe well.

Latest posts

Back