Silver King Unchained: BELT DRIVE....What a ride~!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Light looks great man!
Nice conversion on both lights! and they fit the build vibe well.
Thanks KF! I am pleased with lights. I will add some patination (black) to the new bolts and washers, and call it good!

Wow! Tanks, I mean, thanks Dr T. I appreciate the props! Glad I decided to give the lights a try.

Have to just agree that the lights are a slick touch. Tasteful fit in the package as a whole.👍
Thanks Kevin! It sat for so long with just my first idea of a totally stripped down hot rod, that it was hard to add anything. I appreciate your comments, on mine and many other builds during this BO 17. It's members like you who take the time to look at the builds and add your knowledge and critique to the builds that really make these build offs what they are. :113:

I just finally got through the whole build. Very nice job OJ. I really like the Silver Kings and I love your kustom take on the bike here. The wheelset worked out perfectly for this frame, the bars look terrific and comfortable, the springer is awesome. And the belt drive- so cool! Unusual on a vintage build for sure and just awesome. The tractor lights are looking sweet. And you had to throw in that super cool trike build too. The video of the kid taking it for a spin made my day and I haven't even made coffee yet. (Yeah, what a bum, I know. But it's not even 6 yet here in CA and it's my weekend. 🤣) I love the video updates as well. I'm really enjoying the whole build off experience and am looking forward to some rainy days next winter (hopefully) to go back through the archives and see what folks have built in previous build offs. Again, nice job on an excellent ride!

I just finally got through the whole build. Very nice job OJ. I really like the Silver Kings and I love your kustom take on the bike here. The wheelset worked out perfectly for this frame, the bars look terrific and comfortable, the springer is awesome. And the belt drive- so cool! Unusual on a vintage build for sure and just awesome. The tractor lights are looking sweet. And you had to throw in that super cool trike build too. The video of the kid taking it for a spin made my day and I haven't even made coffee yet. (Yeah, what a bum, I know. But it's not even 6 yet here in CA and it's my weekend. 🤣) I love the video updates as well. I'm really enjoying the whole build off experience and am looking forward to some rainy days next winter (hopefully) to go back through the archives and see what folks have built in previous build offs. Again, nice job on an excellent ride!
Wow! If my build made your day, you just made my year! Thanks for being so thorough on all your observations and comments on all of our builds. You are a real assett to this forum!

And I hope you have many rainy days this winter. The state of drought in California and Arizona (we spend our winters in Mesa) is astounding. The Colorado river situation is very scary for the South Western USA.

I'm not sure where you are located, but back in the early '90s, I wrote for a mountain bike magazine in the Midwest, and traveled to Long Beach to ride in the mountains around there, and return the Univega Alpina with the AMP fork (branded the Concept by Univega). I had the bike in Minnesota for a couple weeks for testing and reviewing, and then tagged along on a business trip my wife had in LB and rode the mountain trails just minutes outside the city. That bike had a great ride feel, steel frame and that short travel , parallelogram fork was plenty of suspension for those rocky singletrack trails.

If you decide to go with a rigid fork for a more vintage look on your build, I'd be VERY interested in the AMP fork! :nerd:

Here are a couple vintage photos from that Fall of '94, on our farm in So Minnesota. My brother posing with the bike...

Scan0003 (2).jpg
Scan0004.jpg

I like your plans to put Knobbies on your bike!

Wow! If my build made your day, you just made my year! Thanks for being so thorough on all your observations and comments on all of our builds. You are a real assett to this forum!

And I hope you have many rainy days this winter. The state of drought in California and Arizona (we spend our winters in Mesa) is astounding. The Colorado river situation is very scary for the South Western USA.

I'm not sure where you are located, but back in the early '90s, I wrote for a mountain bike magazine in the Midwest, and traveled to Long Beach to ride in the mountains around there, and return the Univega Alpina with the AMP fork (branded the Concept by Univega). I had the bike in Minnesota for a couple weeks for testing and reviewing, and then tagged along on a business trip my wife had in LB and rode the mountain trails just minutes outside the city. That bike had a great ride feel, steel frame and that short travel , parallelogram fork was plenty of suspension for those rocky singletrack trails.

If you decide to go with a rigid fork for a more vintage look on your build, I'd be VERY interested in the AMP fork! :nerd:

Here are a couple vintage photos from that Fall of '94, on our farm in So Minnesota. My brother posing with the bike...

View attachment 205001View attachment 205002
Hey OddJob, that Univega looks sweet! I bet it was fun to ride. I love 90s mountain bikes and have started a small collection. What was the magazine you wrote for called? Are there scans available online? I love that old stuff. I've got a bunch of old issues of the Fat Tire Flyer that Charlie Kelly put out back in the day. Fun stuff.

If you decide to go with a rigid fork for a more vintage look on your build, I'd be VERY interested in the AMP fork!

Or, if for some reason you'd like to spend a whole bunch more to ship it to Canada... :giggle:

I doubt I could ever get rid of this AMP fork, I've got way too much history with it. My best friend for the last 40 years and I bought new, though basic, mountain bikes when I got out of the Army and proceeded to have a blast! It was 1991, I bought a green GT Timberline and Scott bought a dark blue Mongoose Hill Topper, both full rigid. The first thing we did was ditch the plastic pedals as our feet wouldn't stay on and our shins were suffering the consequences. Then we went for suspension forks to keep our teeth from rattling out of our skulls. I got a basic Specialized branded elastomer Rock Shocks and Scott got this Mongoose branded AMP Research fork. I ran mine into the ground and recycled it years ago but this AMP fork is still in good shape. I traded him a Trek Y frame and fork for it about 15 years ago and have had it on 3 or 4 different frames. After this it will probably go on some others. Ultimately I'd like to find an AMP Research frame or a ProFlex frame to put it on.

Hitting the 'bars' on a Friday afternoon...handlebars, that is!

I like wood projects. Eventually I'm going to learn to use my wood lathe and make some grips for my TOC bike. I think these bar plugs will add a real nice touch to your bike as well as improving safety. It gave me an idea for future builds. I think port corks might fit some bars and make real cool looking plugs.

Hey OddJob, that Univega looks sweet! I bet it was fun to ride. I love 90s mountain bikes and have started a small collection. What was the magazine you wrote for called? Are there scans available online? I love that old stuff. I've got a bunch of old issues of the Fat Tire Flyer that Charlie Kelly put out back in the day. Fun stuff.
Michigan Cyclist and then a spin-off called Superior Cyclist, for Minnesota and Wisconsin area. I started racing mtb's in 1987,and raced competitively through 2000. Started at age 32.

I hosted mountain bike events and did trail and course layouts for many of tbe venues in Minnesota and Western Wisconsin. Good times! Also announce the regional race series from 2001 - 2005.

Latest posts

Back