Silver King Unchained: BELT DRIVE....What a ride~!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those are beautiful and classy!

I've got a bunch of old issues of the Fat Tire Flyer that Charlie Kelly put out back in the day. Fun stuff.
I would love it if you could start a thread about all that stuff, I am interested in the grassroots beginnings of the sport. I think the do it yourself aspect was really cool, and rat rodders might like to have a glimpse at what it was like before the circus came to town

I would love it if you could start a thread about all that stuff, I am interested in the grassroots beginnings of the sport. I think the do it yourself aspect was really cool, and rat rodders might like to have a glimpse at what it was like before the circus came to town
I'll do that. I love all that stuff too. Researching the beginnings of mountain biking got me wanting to have a 70's vintage klunker of my own. I figured I couldn't afford an original. A surprising number of those old originals still exist and others have been recreated. Alan Bonds was one of the original builders back then and he'll still build one for you today. I can't imagine what that might cost but it would be amazing! If you haven't already seen it check out Klunkerz the movie, it's 'far out man'!

https://www.amazon.com/Klunkerz-Film-about-Mountain-Bikes/dp/B00EB6EM3U
I have the DVD I think. I need to watch it again.

Actually, I think the Silver King Unchained would be a great Mt. Tam bomber. I'd probably put on an early 26" BMX fork with truss rods and an Atom drum brake and go to town. With a coaster brake on the back it would be perfect for Repack! ;)

Now do your pedals
I have a trip up to our camp with my son today and tomorrow to cut wood. They have their annual Bro-ha-ha weekend next week and usually go through a half cord of wood!

Then two days at the bike shop this week, and two music gigs as well. I might have a few hours next weekend for a pedal mod, we shall see. Getting down to the wire, and I have some work to do narrowing the field of contestants and preparing the actual awards for the 8th Annual OddJob Awards to be given out the first couple days of Voting week following the end of the BO 17 build off on Sept 6.

Keep your eyes peeled for some more on the OddJob Award in the Prize Pool thread in the coming week!

20220820_151305.jpg

Update on the '56 Murray Trikes R' aT Us refurb!

Update: I posted a facebook link to this but apparently you can't see it unless you log in.
Here's a screen shot. Old guys will have to enlarge it to see it. Really old guys won't have the tech savvy to even do that.

Screenshot_20220821-070023_Facebook.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like you are wrapping things up nicely.

THE JOY OF THE RIDE!!!!!
Just like a smiling kid on a Christmas afternoon ride.

1661482802003.png

Since the SKU is in the Finished thread, I got to working on this year's OddJob Award. As in the past 4 years, this year's award will be constructed from a metal outlet cover, and painted to match my BO build from this season. So that means some patina to the natural metal color, and then I added a Kona Brown trim in gloss to emulate the wheels and some of the other brownish bits on the bike.

The vinyl lettering, black this year to mimic the black parts of SKU, should be here by the end of this week. I use a guy on ebay who has done all my lettering for bikes, awards, etc over the past 8 years or so. Look for "thestickermantom" , Tom, on ebay for your next job. Great guy, and he always asks to see my final product too. Invested in his customers' work!

I started with a very light mist of flat black on the covers. Next, I sprayed them with a coat of Matte Clear to take down some of the 'shine'. Then I taped off the center portion with a wide 3M blue painter's tape and sprayed the brown trim. When I removed the tape, it peeled off some of the black mist, and some of the matte clear. In kind of a 'worm trail' pattern. Accidental patina!

The first photo shows one without the matte clear on it. Just the black mist and brown trim.

300598057_1098188774163042_1667294457432101398_n.jpg

This one got the matte clear treatment, and you can see the result of the tape removal and the attempt to get it looking like the natural patina of the Silver King frame. With the brown and black of the wheel and tire.

301000469_396192255963784_6722116094904602585_n.jpg

This is always a fun way for me to end the build off. And even more fun awarding the "OJ's" !

Only one more week left in the RatRodBikes Build Off 17 !! Build Off officially closes on September 6, at 12 noon Central time in the USA. Make sure you get your bike into the Finished Builds thread with your favorite photo right at the top of your new thread! That's the one that will be used for voting.

keep calm and rat on.jpg

Latest posts

Back