Silver King? Yes, please.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I found this Silver King at a "Barn Sale" today.
197.JPG
200.JPG

I don't think anything original is left but the frame/badge. The truss rods look home made to me, and the fork has got to go. This is the first Silver King that I have seen in person so I had no choice but to buy it. I was able to get the seller to throw in a different seat(still not correct but better) and an old headlight.

No dents or cracks, and not too much corrosion. The fenders are Wald, and I just noticed that the front is on backward, will probably lose those anyway. No reason not to Rat it.
202.JPG
203.JPG

Last edited:
Poor old silver king...

I agree though ... Some SK is better than no SK! Nice find!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I believe those truss rods may actually be correct, they just have been tweaked into an incorrect arc. They should be aluminum with a threaded hole into the truss rod at the top and stamped flat with and oblong hole on the axle end. That's how I'm seeing them, but of course I can't be sure from just your pictures.
Very cool find!
I agree now that I've had a closer look. They are just like you described, but the threaded holes at the top of the rods are pretty stripped out. I don't have any experience with these bikes, so when I saw that the truss rods were tubular instead of solid, I thought they might be home made, but apparently they came that way originally. Thanks for the heads up.

Poor old boy...All that horrible-quality stuff stuck on it. Makes you want to cry.
Yes, a clean Silver King frame is always good. Especially w/o those parts!!

Latest posts

Back