single sided swingarm, ideas anyone?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I'm building a bike(board track racer and cafe racer fusion) and I need a idea on how to build a single sided swingarm and the hub.

Cannondale has produced "Lefty" forks for years. Maybe you can find a damaged one for a few bucks and use it, along with the coresponding one sided wheel for your rear swingarm. Another Idea is to use part of a tweaked adult trike frame, it has the single sided axle setup.

Start reading.....
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7153&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=olli
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=27529&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

IMGP4224.jpg

jj256 said:
Is it possible to use part of a bottom bracket for the wheel hub
Looks like you need to check out my build, that is what I did...

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=65514

DSC00108 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

My design is used to mount car wheels, hence the wheel studs and mount plate on one side. The bike is not finished yet, but I have built both front and rear hubs and they work great!

To fit to a standard wheel I would suggest welding a piece of pipe that fits inside your standard wheel hub to one of the square taper bosses, and welding the hub to it problem solved! I love that it is possible to put the drive and brakes on the other side of the bb, looks really cool.

Luke.

Awesome but my questions are: is the hub strong enough for a engine and can it be used for a suspension swingarm

jj256 said:
Awesome but my questions are: is the hub strong enough for a engine and can it be used for a suspension swingarm
I cant see any reason why it would not work for a suspension swingarm, provided you get the rest of the details right (pivot point, chain length etc.)

As to an engine, well it depends how big you are going, I certainly would not use it on a real motorbike... Im guessing the standard 50cc bike conversion kits would be fine, but I have never used one, so dont know much about them, and im not willing to say that it will work safely, that is your experimentation department...

With this sort of untested design you really need to be very careful, take it slow and make sure everything is working right. If you lose a wheel because the engine power sheers the bb axle off, things could get very nasty for you!

I accept no liability for damage/losses/injury/death leading from use of the idea! :D

That being said, you are welcome to use it, would love to see the results!

Luke.

Latest posts

Back