SKIP TOOTH CHAIN BREAKING ?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All that is left on this tear down is for me to get the chain off! It is two different skip tooth chains that have been spliced. Looks as if 20 pins worth of newer chain was installed way back whenever. Reading thru the threads has given me things to look for but I just can't get it. The bike is a J.C.Higgins that had drive train work done to it for sure. The crank bearings were replaced with caged bearings like on a Schwinn. Five of the original bearings were still down in the bottom bracket. This is my first skip tooth chain so I am in new surroundings.... The copper wire is where the splicing is but It's not giving up at those links so I'm at a standstill.
All that is left on this tear down is for me to get the chain off!
skiptooth1.jpg
skiptooth2.jpg

Got the chain off despite not having a master link. We simply pushed one good pin out just enough slip the roller out and she's off the bike.
This isn't perfect but we felt that the newer section of chain replaced the part that had the master in it way back whenever and this was all we could do. She should go back together well by simply pushing the pin back in place at rebuild. Hope this helps others. RIDE ON!
skiptoothbroken.jpg

It sounds like you didn't have a chain tool. If not, get one. They are usually $10 or less at the bike shop.It helps so much with removal and installation. Just don't get the cheap walmart one, it doesn't have clearance for skiptooths

I actually have the opposite issue on a chain that came with my '35 Silver King. The skiptooth chain has at least 4 master links on it and appears to have been pieced together from bits of chain a long time ago :D

There are a few bicycle tools I have yet to get... a good chain tool is on the list. Most of my work in the past was with motorcycles and my toolbox reflects that. I did go to my local bike shop to have it broken but while I was there the owner said he had an Iver Johnson that needs restore. Wants to give it out for publicity you know. Will post pictures when I get my hands on it. Its one with the single top tubes, a camelback.

Latest posts

Back