Skip tooth question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I'm in the process of finding a skip tooth chain that will work on my bike, but my question is why can't a standard chain work since it's 1/2" and the math works out, .5+.5=1. The bike actually has a standard chain on it now and it works, although it makes a clocking noise everytime you pedal as I assume the teeth and the chain aren't meeting up perfectely and the noise is the chain settling into the sprocket. Are there any alternatives to skiptooth chains?

Skiptooth chain is 3/16" wide where a standard chain is 1/8" wide. You've probably got a link that is frozen if it's making a clicking sound?

THe chain that's on it now seems beefier than a standard bike chain so I'm not sure what kind of chain it is... It seems pretty wide, not that I"ve measured it, but going by sight it looks different than a standard chain. I wasn't sure if it was some kind of motorized bike chain or something of the sorts (not sure if there is a difference in motorized bike chains).

Your math is flawed. An inch pitch chain/cog is not 1/2 inch pitch with every other tooth missing. It is a combination of .375" and .625" pitch chain links. The tooth profile is .625 inch. There is no chance of running a 1/2 inch pitch chain on an inch pitch cog regardless of width.

Well, whatever kind of chain this is, it works although like I said every time I put force onto the crank it makes a very noticable clicking sound. When I have the dropstand down and turn the pedals by hand I don't get that sound. Here is a picture of the chain, any ideas?

020_zps7961450d.jpg

If you're running a 1/2" pitch chain on it, you're probably only getting partial tooth engagement, so technically, it doesn't work. You might be getting some function out of it, but that's not the same thing. As c.p.odom said, the 1" pitch isn't symetric in the link sections. So, you're getting some teeth engaged partly, enough to make the bike move. But when you load it up, you force the chain to slip, this creating the clicking noise. At least, that'd be my theory. I've seen it before with heavier chains in other applications.

Shown in the picture is a 1/2 X 3/16 chain. These were common on high end 1/2 pitch bikes.

interesting... it does grab the sprocket teeth just fine, just can't figure out why it clickity clacks when I pedal. I do have a standard skip tooth coming in the mail so perhaps that will solve the problem

Latest posts

Back