Skipper with twin straight bar ?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
IMG00032-20111202-1322.jpg

Anyone know anything about this bike? Thinking it is a 61 or 62 but not sure. What's it worth? Anyone else have one?
Like any info and pics of others.

I think that is an early 61, but you could check the serial number to be sure.
I have one that was numbered as October 61, but it has a different frame. It still has the twin flat bars, but they are mated to the rear. As far as value goes I have no idea.
skipper1.jpg

Diabolical_Dork said:

Anyone know anything about this bike? Thinking it is a 61 or 62 but not sure. What's it worth? Anyone else have one?

Probably a 59 or 60, check the serial number. Looks like it's in nice shape. Not sure if the bars are original

the bars are off of an old hiawatha i had. the original bars are in the shed (the grips are sticky)

The Skipper was only made 60-63, and the 63s had a regular cantilever frame. Doon's is the later '62 style that was also used on the new for 62 Typhoon. People will jump up and down and swear that frame was ONLY used for the Typhoon, but right there's your proof otherwise! I've seen several other examples too, even a late 61 Tornado! -Adam

I repainted a 61 Skipper for a friend in ND. I believe it was a January made bike, serial started with an A1. His had the tubes connected instead of stopping at the seat tube.

From the 61 catalog:

imt3zs.jpg

Doon said:
I think that is an early 61, but you could check the serial number to be sure.
I have one that was numbered as October 61, but it has a different frame. It still has the twin flat bars, but they are mated to the rear. As far as value goes I have no idea.
skipper1.jpg

As the story goes this style with the connected bars from the rear was only available in 1962 and all were suppose to be typhoon replacing the tornado. Hence the term suppose. When the employers ran out of typhoon chain guards they started to use the skipper guards and some tornado guards that were left overs.

On a side note. This is the first one I see with a two tone paint job as they were suppose to be all red or all black.

Diabolical_Dork said:

This bike is a middleweight making it 60 or 61. Earlier tornado model 58-59 used the same style of frame but were balloon frames. Making them very rare now.

Thanks for the info guys. I am trying to make up my mind if I want to sell it or put new tires on it and ride.

Outlaw90 said:
Dude that is soo clean i wish id have scored that up. anything straight bar is sick!!! :D

Make me an offer. Cash, trade? I have a straight bar monark that isnt quite as nice but would entertain letting it go too.

Latest posts

Back