SLIVER finished.UPDATE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well here it is. It rides nice. I took this picture first in case I wrecked it.

_JOD0483.jpg

Fixed gear 52/20

It’s a ‘74 Raleigh Grand Prix frame made in Worksop, England. The braze-ons were shaved and the brake bridge removed. The frame was stripped using Aircraft stripper and cleaned with a wire wheel on a die grinder. Steel wool was used to apply WD40 and let dry. Two coats. Johnson's Paste Wax was applied using a shoe brush and dried in the sun, buffed out with a cloth and then repeated.

The drive train is mostly 80’s Japanese.
Except :
Tange cartridge bottom bracket which is new.
Rear cog is new aftermarket.
An unknown brand brake lever from a Ross.
Kenda K36 27 x 1-1/8 tires
Bottom of headset is new. Top is original Raleigh.
The brake cable housing is off an old Schwinn. I liked that it was ribbed and matched the skinwalls.
The nickel plated chain is just bling.

The rest is 80’s Japanese stuff:
Ukai rims with Sunshine hubs.
Sugino RT cranks
SR Laprade seatpost
SR Stem
SR Randonneur handlebar flipped and clipped
Bridgestone self centering brakes
Fuji Feather saddle
Pedals are MKS

The cranks were 320 wet sanded to remove some of the shine and then waxed.
I wrapped the bar in old inner tubes.
I left the rear axle long.
Of course, the crank caps are left off.

Participating in BOTEN has been a blast. All the AMAZING bikes here are inspiring and I hope each build I do brings me a bit further along. Thanks for your talents which you all share generously. I'm going to look at more bike pictures now.

Peace.

Last edited:
Crisp
Clean
Beautiful
Build

I would like to build one like this to have I the collection . Nice & clean o I bet it's fast too !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very tasty. Looks like a brisk rider. Love the inner tube bar tape. I used to do that in the seventies/early eighties.

Thanks Chad. I wanted it to be a time capsule. The clipped bars and inner tube bar wrap were in style back then. Heck, I had bum bars on it for a few minutes. I found some used soft rubber brake pads that wouldn't beat up the old rims. Man, they don't squeal, they roar. I won't be needing a bell.

It should be fast enough for the path. I'll be doing 25 miles on her tomorrow. Shaking her out. Bringing the tool kit.

Last edited:
I would like to build one like this to have I the collection . Nice & clean o I bet it's fast too !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fast enough. Fixies become addictive, though. Your body tunes in to them. The other bikes in your collection will get jealous.

Very nice! Looks like it will blaze the road.

Latest posts

Back