Smallest 20" street tire

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for the smallest 20" (ISO 406) tire I can find. The first tire I bought was a 20 x 1 1/8" (451), and it was my fault it didn't fit. I didn't know there could be two different 20" sizes. I just bought a 20 x 1 Vee Tire Co. MK3 BMX which was listed as a 406, of course with my luck it is a 451. I now have close to $100 on tires and tubes that don't fit and can't afford more mistakes.

Can anyone suggest a small 406 tire that won't break the bank?

You can probably still use the tubes. I either read somewhere or someone told me that they would buy larger tubes (outside the listed range . . . so, maybe a 29" tube in a 26" tire or something like that) for mountain biking as using them in the smaller diameter tire made the rubber thicker by limiting its expansion. I can't speak from personal experience on its efficacy, but it was claimed to work and I've no reason to doubt it. Anyway, since you already have them, it doesn't really hurt to try.

Thanks, but those are way too big for what I want.

You can probably still use the tubes. I either read somewhere or someone told me that they would buy larger tubes (outside the listed range . . . so, maybe a 29" tube in a 26" tire or something like that) for mountain biking as using them in the smaller diameter tire made the rubber thicker by limiting its expansion. I can't speak from personal experience on its efficacy, but it was claimed to work and I've no reason to doubt it. Anyway, since you already have them, it doesn't really hurt to try.

I don't see any way to stuff an 18" diameter tube into a 16" diameter tire without it folding or buckling.

@sandman, I got the tire and it looks great! Thank you again.

P1210939.jpg

Shwalbe marathon, durano, kojak all small 406 tires, loads of options out there as most folding bikes are 406 size.

Latest posts

Back