Smoothing Welds?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never painted a bike before, but now I have one in my sights. I'd like for the welds to be smoother. How do I do that? File them? Dremel them? Fill them somehow?

Thanks!

A file will probably bounce right off a weld. A Dremel would work fine but it's a bit small and would take you some time. Buy a tube of Dremel silicone carbide cut-off wheels. Get the thicker of the two sizes. Put two of them together on the arbor. With that setup you should be able to deal with some bike welds. If you have a flex shaft for your Dremel, that would help too. Use Bondo or spot putty filler if you have any holes or voids to fill. Gary

I use a file, carbide burr, and sanding drum, then bondo the holes as mentioned and repeat.

A good round or rats tail file is a must for getting around the headstem/top/lower bar welds. I use one with about a 3/8 diameter, I find it does a really nice job on any weld I cant get to with a flap style sanding disc on my angle grinder.

Luke.

The spot putty is very thin and used for small pin holes or nicks. Depending on how smooth you get the welds sanded/filed down you then would do a coat of a 2 part filler. Sand this down leaving only the amount needed to fill voids. I then like to get some primer on because this will show pin holes and any area were more work might be needed. You then could use the spot putty.

Welds and fillet brazed joints are usually smoothed with a "Dynafile", but this tool cost $$.

oooo, i prolly coulda handled $, but $$ is out of my range.

thanks, all. i have enough to go on for now. i think i really just want to knock off the highspots. i don't need them perfect like some of y'all make them. i have a feeling that i lack the patience to do that good of a job.

Latest posts

Back