So I got me a HUFFY "race" bike...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
...or not. LOL:

usa1.jpg

I wasn't going to pick it up at first, then I thought some of the parts would be cool (raked-out frame, funky handlebars, wheel disc...), but the more I look at it, the more I want to clean it up and preserve it for what it is. It looks like it will clean up nice, and it appears to be complete.

usa2.jpg

For those that don't know, this is NOT a full-on race bike! Lol! Back in the 80's, Huffy sponsored the US Olympic teams (who rode on real race bikes, like Serottas), and not missing an opportunity, put out these Huffy "Olympia" bikes, with styling cues from the actual bikes used in the Olympic Games, like staggered wheel combinations (this bike has a 24 front and a 26 rear), raked frame and aero discs, along with a patriotic color scheme. It is in no way shape or form a "quality" bike ( note the one piece crank and bargain basement derailleurs ). That being said, its kinda cool looking, no? I look at it the same way I do a Marlboro mountain bike.

I don't think race bikes have reflectors built into the aero discs either. I can appreciate the awesome radiating from this type of bike. Good save !!!

Nice to see what these things originally looked like. I just picked up one myself and I am trying to complete it in a way that isn't too terrible. Pictures to follow.

I love bikes like this. Value is relative.

I've had this bike torn down and mostly put back together for a while. The holdup has been getting a grip off so I can repaint the stem. I got one off a week or so ago, then got wrapped up in other things. I managed to find two reasonably priced matching tires for it. I think it'll be nice when its done.

A one piece crank doesn't make it bad quality, it just isn't "high end". What brand of derailers are on it? Most of my vintage Huffy and Schwinn 10 speeds all had Shimanos. I didn't think they were that bad? Now the Falcons that came on those bargain basement Free Spirits though... :lol:

I really like these. I had one I bought from an RRB member, and I converted to single speed, so it would look more like the "Huffy" pursuit bikes used by Team USA (actually built by Ben Serotta I think with True Temper tubing, and had HUFFY decals on them) that I believe they are supposed to emulate.

I sold mine recently:

8657608123_cc1fa48084_b.jpg

Otto-Lauritzen%20Huffy.JPG

Latest posts

Back