Some stuff for future builds

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well I got to cleaning up a little around my shop and ran across a few future builds. So I took some pics and thought I'd post them so you guys could see some of my crap.

This one I call Toxic. It's a Raleigh 10 speed and that's all I know about it. Found it in the garbage one night while scowing.

The pink is some dust overspray from the Parton Build
Toxic003.jpg

Toxic001.jpg

Toxic004.jpg

Toxic002.jpg

This one was purchased awhile back for $30.00 at Walmart. It's a Mongoose XR250. Sold for around $200.00 originally. The derailler was broke off of the bike so they sold it as is.

This was almost my build off bike but I thought that unbolting and repositioning the rearend may cause some controversy! Glad I change to the tandem! I'm going with my original idea and building it on the side, so to speak. I'll get some progress pics of it tomorrow.

EvilOne0003.jpg

The front wheel has a disc and both wheels sport these wild rims!
EvilOne0004.jpg

Chainsaw said:
This was almost my build off bike but I thought that unbolting and repositioning the rearend may cause some controversy! Glad I change to the tandem! I

Okay...this is seriously the hardest I have laughed about a post since I started this forum. Dang it Chainy....ha ha!

Chainsaw said:
I'm going with my original idea and building it on the side, so to speak. I'll get some progress pics of it tomorrow.

NOK NOK Jr.?

Thanks guys!

Didn't get to take pics today, I forgot the camera! :(

Cman, Nope, gonna keep NokNok an only child. The Mongoose does have the shock removed and the susupension arms are now bolted to the brace where the top of the shock use to be. The forks will used some other time, cause I threw on a set of OCC Stingray forks. They will need to be extended. Not sure if I'll use the rims on this build or not. They're groovy but I don't think they'll go with the look. Also got my eye on a wild pair of handle bars. I'm hoping that Gig's will be test riding it in Oakville!

Oh and it's name? The EVIL ONE!

xddorox said:
I can't wait to see how you're going to hack this thing. Please post some pics on some MTB forum to spread some heart attacks :mrgreen:

Gerry, don't you just love it when them Mountain men and the Roadies start recognizing bits and pieces of bikes they would like to own! :mrgreen: I always try to point out what I chopped up to them.

I bet more than a couple of guys went into siezures when they saw Hooch's Parton Pixie and he didn't even "improve" :wink: the frame!

Chainsaw said:
xddorox said:
I can't wait to see how you're going to hack this thing. Please post some pics on some MTB forum to spread some heart attacks :mrgreen:

Gerry, don't you just love it when them Mountain men and the Roadies start recognizing bits and pieces of bikes they would like to own! :mrgreen: I always try to point out what I chopped up to them.

I bet more than a couple of guys went into siezures when they saw Hooch's Parton Pixie and he didn't even "improve" :wink: the frame!

Speaking as a mountain biker (and part time fixie rider), trust me when I say there's nothing on that Mongoose that any MTB'er would cry about if it were to be chopped up.

Chopping it would actually turn it into something worthwhile.

-Mp

Chainsaw said:
The pink is some dust overspray from the Parton Build
I wondered how long it would take for the first of the pink parts to start emerging :wink: ...Kelly

Multipass, Yeah, I know the Mongoose is nothing, but I've got a Cannondale, a couple of GTs and a Specialized that might turn some heads when the sparks start flying! :shock: And we already know that old Mongeese (?) and Redlines are easy victims! :wink:

In all honesty, I have great respect for most all bikes. But I do like to use the occassional offbeat or highticket gadget or chunk of bike on one of my Rats or FreakBikes. It gives the bikes character and is always something to draw the interest of bikers that wouldn't normally pay attention to the bikes we build.

I wish that I had people who would get a little crazy in the dirt, but all my rowdy friends have settled down. :cry: I've gotten older and I'm outta shape for that kind of playing. So keep the dust and mud churning and think of me once in awhile as you scream down a tree lined trail! :D
Chainy

Chainsaw said:
It gives the bikes character and is always something to draw the interest of bikers that wouldn't normally pay attention to the bikes we build.

That's cool - further to that thought, one of the best parts about a vintage or ratty bike is the effect on non-cyclists. My experience has been that folks who may want to ride for a bit of recreation are often put off by the hardcore nature of the "serious cyclist" world, but an old cruiser just screams "FUN". I really enjoy it when, while chatting with somebody about the "cool old bike" I'm riding, the light goes on and they realize it's OK to ride around just for fun at a relaxed pace - it's not a race after all!

This doesn't happen when I'm on my MTB.

More people on bikes = a good thing :D

Chainsaw said:
I wish that I had people who would get a little crazy in the dirt, but all my rowdy friends have settled down. :cry: I've gotten older and I'm outta shape for that kind of playing. So keep the dust and mud churning and think of me once in awhile as you scream down a tree lined trail!

I'm not getting any younger myself :roll: but I'll not give up my bikes!

-Mp

nogoodnic42 said:
I wondered how long it would take for the first of the pink parts to start emerging :wink: ...Kelly

I darn near went blind trying to clean all that pink up! It looked like Barbie puked in the middle of the floor when I was done!

I got some flourescent yellow/green that I'm itching to spray, can I do it at your house? :p

Sure c'mon over the garage needs a little sprucing up, just let me pull the bikes out first...Kelly

Here's a pic of The Evil One with the OCC forks. They need to be extended a few inches to bring them back to the original rake of the Stingray. Also you can see how I lost the shock and moved the arms forward to hunker down the frame.
Evilone3.jpg

Chainy,

That's looking sweet. I really like the stance and the spoke pattern on those wheels.

Back