SPEED CHIEF

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Renaissance Man

__CERTIFIED DIVER__ (Open Water & Open Dumpster)
Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Saved this one from the scrap yard today. The frame is very similar to my Monark Super Deluxe. The chain guard graphics are still visible and says 'Speed Chief'. I'm assuming it's a Firestone Speed Chief. Haven't looked for any serial numbers yet. The paint looks original and the fenders are actually green under the surface rust and underneath. Looks like a great start for a rat-steration!

100_7019_zps831f7687.jpg

for reference, here's a shiny one for sale near me with tank
http://nh.craigslist.org/bik/4451855689.html

Thanks for the help Walker.
That does look very similar except the chain stays are different where the kickstand bolts on.
Here's CL bike...
00P0P_keaDnGnjHlD_600x450.jpg

And here's a Monark that I found on the web that is made the same as my Speed Chief...
1950%27s%20Monark%20Superdeluxe%205.jpg

Maybe different manufacturers made the Speed Chief.

Who made the Monarks? Does anyone know? Was Monark the manufacturer's name?

That looks more like my Monark Rocket frame than it does a Super Deluxe. Similar style to Schwinn DX frame. Gary

The CL Speed Chief is actually a Snyder built bike, it has their chain ring, as well as their fairly long rear dropouts. The Monark frames have short, rounded off drops. Also, the Snyder frame has two separate frame tubes where the kickstand mounts, where the Monarks are solid. VERY similar though! -Adam

Latest posts

Back